Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router problems.  (Read 2301 times)

VexSilver

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Router problems.
    « on: February 16, 2011, 10:08:44 PM »
    My internet has been on the decline for a while now.  I've been fighting with my ISP here lately because they think it's my problem and I think it's their problem, but I wonder about my router.

It's a Linksys wrt54g version 6 router.  I like to play online games every now and again and I disconnect all the time now and I never had that problem.  Not only that, I notice my little computer in my task-bar loses it's globe and gets that red X and then it re-connects.  Well that's annoying cause I also do college online and you can imagine trying to take a quiz online with internet dropping out.

So question is: what is wrong with my internet?  It wasn't like this before.

I updated my router to the latest firmware, hoping that would mend the problem, but nothing.  It worked good for all of 10 minutes and went back to bad internet.

BTW my ISP (ELC Internet (local crap)) is a jackbutt and if I try to call them too many times because of the internet going out, they'll just start hanging up on me.  Real professional... and my aunt next door is having disconnecting problems too at times.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Router problems.
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »
    What happens if you connect directly the the modem with out the router?
    "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Router problems.
    « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
    BTW my ISP (ELC Internet (local crap))...
    Hmm, their http://www.elc.net/ is laughable.

Do you have any other ISP choices in your area?