Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disabled user account?  (Read 3915 times)

centosNewbie

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Disabled user account?
    « on: February 16, 2011, 09:53:16 PM »
    New to Linux I want to make sure I got this right.  I added user accounts to the server for email purposes and just added a .forward file in the user directory to forward all emails, leaving nothing on the server.
    The users were added without a password.  Is my understanding correct that, by creating a user without a password, it disables the account and therefore nobody can log in with those usernames?
    Your help is appreciated.

Linux User#485948

Rookie

• My name is Carl but I've been called a lot worse.
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Disabled user account?
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
    Not sure but I believe CentOS is based on Red Hat Enterprise, or maybe Slackware? Either way these are pretty high end enterprise worthy systems. I run SuSE and the server would slap me bald headed, actually I don't think it will let me create pass-wordless user accounts, that’s the concept behind dummy passwords.

Suspect you'll have to sign in as root and modify or delete accounts, but recover the .forward emails from your endpoints first, this would be an excellent opportunity to develop a relationship with the CentOS users community.
    E=MC²±3db   Murphy's Laws, the only constant in the universe.

centosNewbie

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
      Thanks, I registered at CentOS as well.  Apparently a user created without a password has in fact an unguessable password but it was suggested that I prohibit logins for these users just to be sure so that's what I did.
      Appreciate your response.

Linux User#485948

Rookie

• My name is Carl but I've been called a lot worse.
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:44:41 AM »
      Thanks, I registered at CentOS as well.  Apparently a user created without a password has in fact an unguessable password but it was suggested that I prohibit logins for these users just to be sure so that's what I did.
      Appreciate your response.

I'm glad it worked out for you, hope the email recovery wasn't like having a molar pulled, at least we pointed in the right direction,
      I just believe in the user groups generally made of people that do what they do cause they dig it, happy goes a long way to make sure it's done right! Thanks take care and by all means, visit us again...
      E=MC²±3db   Murphy's Laws, the only constant in the universe.