Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vanishes ::TRICKY ONE!::  (Read 9547 times)

Rob

Windows Vanishes ::TRICKY ONE!::
« on: June 25, 2004, 09:48:37 AM »
HELP!!

Don't even know where to begin with this one! ok basically.

SETUP
2.8Ghz Pentium 4
gig of DDR Ram
2 x 160Gb hard drives

PROBLEM:
The hard drives are partitions up as follows. Drive 1 has a 10 gig windows partition and the rest is for stuff and drive 2 is split at 80 gigs into 2 partitions.

Whenever I copy any data over anywhere the computer restarts and windows is no longer there. sometimes but not every time the partitions will also get wiped. At first I thought it was the hard drive so i got a new one. hence why i have 2! but it still did it so i thought it must be the motherboard so i got a new motherboard. This seemed to cure the problem and nothing happened for a couple of months, until just now! I turned on my computer and the second hard drive was completely blank, no partitions or anything. then i formatted it and copyed some of my backed up data over and the computer restarted with no indication and when it tried to boot up it couldn't because windows wasn't there!!!

whats going on!! I can't think of anything.

I did a memory test on the ram and it seemed ok. i did a cpu test and left it on overload for 6 hours but it was ok then too. I just have no idea whats up.

any help would be very greatfully recieved!!

PS its not a virus as both drives have been formatted and virus scanned!

thanks a lot

Rob

Joleen

Re: Windows Vanishes ::TRICKY ONE!::
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 09:56:12 AM »
That's wack!  You say Windows is gone.. does it come back eventually or do you have to reinstall it every time?  Did you install any hard/software just before it started like this?  Is there any way someone is playing with you and toasting your partitions?  Sick joke but it could happen.

Rob

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 10:08:15 AM »
no it never comes back and no its noone toasting it while i'm away.

Its done it while i've been working on the computer. windows is gone, all the files are gone, everythings gone!

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 10:11:57 AM »
I have no idea what could cause that

But you might want to remove the old hard disk and try only the new drive.

And perhaps replace the cables.

Rob

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 10:49:19 AM »
It has been doing it on both the hard drives. even with only one in at a time. somebody has suggested that it could be the power supply? would this cause all my data ect to vanish?

i'm stuck for ideas

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 10:56:18 AM »
I have very little knowledge about hard drivers but could it be that your old drive has corrupted your new drive (Magnetic influence, perhaps?) because you have had them both installed at the same time?

You should see if you can try an older (or different type of) hard drive and have the other two taken out. (Donot place this drive near the other drives at any time)

I donot know where you bought your latest hard drive, but perhaps they can tell you more. If they are a specialized computer store, that is.

chade

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:19:41 PM »
Wow, that really IS whack.
I know of nothing that can delete a partition like that except a virus or partitioning program.  Something is probably going wrong either hardware wise or with your master partition table on the HDD.

I don't think it would be a magnetic problem - hard drive magnetic fields are very very weak - putting two HDDs on top of one another does not affect them at all, either when running or not.  The strength of magnetic fields drops off expodentially with distance and the fields present in a HDD operate only at very very very close ranges (fractions of millimeters).  Modern HDDs in fact have several platters inside each with a separate magnetic head that can read and write to it.  The magnetic fields operating on the heads are so weak they only affect the platter they're meant to, and never adjacent platters.  Magnetic influence (from within the HDD) can therefore be ruled out.

You've ruled out the motherboard as a possibility by getting a new one, and you've tested the RAM (not that this should be the problem from the symptoms).  The IDE cables shouldn't be the problem if the problem comes and goes - and if you've reinstalled windows on the cables, they are more than likely fine.  Still - your motherboard most likely came with new cables - be sure to use them and not the old ones, just to eliminate another (very minor) possibility.

If it was the HDD that was going completely and not just losing partitioning information I'd suspect your power supply (the Hard Drive not receiving enough power to spin up and report its partition information), but if it's reporting that there IS a HDD there but that its unpartitioned, this doesn't seem like the answer either.  Data is stored on the HDDs magnetically - so even if it didn't receive power for a while, and then did, the data will still be there when it powers up.

*censored*.  You've eliminated most of the likely causes and there is no obvious candidate left.  Pull out everything you dont need (all those PCI cards etc) and see what happens.  This should leave your motherboard, memory, processor, one HDD a keyboard, mouse, power supply and video card.  Given you've replaced the mobo and HDD if you're still having problems this would leave the memory, processor, k/b, mouse and video card as potential sources of difficulty.  I'd then be tempted to test these in other machines to eliminate them.  Can't think of what else to do.

Rob

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 05:15:37 AM »
Thanks for all your help guys!

Yeah the hard disk is still reported as been there just without any partition information or data on it! I'm going to try a new power supply next and try out what Chade suggested. Although in my system i don't have any pci things to remove! the network card and sound is intergreated with the motherboard! and it still does it with only one hard drive in.

I am also using the new cables that came with the motherboard.

I'm gonna try a new power supply and cross my fingers!!

I'll let you know what happens

chade

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 10:21:18 AM »
Onboard items can almost always be disabled in the BIOS - but I highly doubt thats the problem.