Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to add hot spare into raid 5  (Read 43278 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: how to add hot spare into raid 5
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
Redundant Array of (Independent|Inexpensive) Disks.

Sounds like a bunch of hard drives to me.
They are physically independent. But they must work together to give the system its performance goals.

A bunch of flowers and a floral arrangement are not the same
A Drive Array is not a bunch of drives.

Here is a suggested reference about a actual product.
Setting up the 2.5 TB hot-swap array
Perhaps this article will help the OP understand you can not increase the storage capacity by upgrading just one drive in a system based mostly on hardware.

[Yes, you can do 3 physical drives a a virtual 5 drive array in software.Tthat is not the case here.]

heavyend81

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
I am running Server 2008 Ent and have a Raid 5 setup with 5 x 2tb drives and wish to add a 6th drive also of the same make and capacity to use as a hot spare. Can someone please explain how I do this in Server 2008.  I dont want extra space and I understand what a hot spare is but can't find how to implement it in WHS 2008.

Hi,
 we have got raid 5 configured on the win server 2003. its HP proliant dl 585, we have got 6 sas hdd, we are running short of space and we need to add hot spare into the raid5 how do i do that. can anyone suggest me bout this please.

thanks

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 08:44:55 AM »
    I am running Server 2008 Ent and have a Raid 5 setup with 5 x 2tb drives and wish to add a 6th drive also of the same make and capacity to use as a hot spare. Can someone please explain how I do this in Server 2008.  I dont want extra space and I understand what a hot spare is but can't find how to implement it in WHS 2008.

Ok, 1) Start your own thread.  2) RAID 5 isn't a Windows thing, it's completely un-related.  Windows doesn't really "do" RAID.  3) You'll probably need to recreate the container, which means wiping the current config, which means a backup & restore will be required.  That is, unless the RAID hardware you're using supports adding disks to a RAID 5, which is what you're doing if you're adding a hot spare, which I doubt.  If you just want it as a spare, then you have no problems, but you will have to manually replace the failed drive, in it's slot, with the working one.  Also, you need to check that your RAID hardware supports hot spares.  Link to the new post and I'll follow it.