Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is recovery disk enough to install OS on a new HD?  (Read 7789 times)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Is recovery disk enough to install OS on a new HD?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
I installed the new HD, the first thing that showed up after the gateway logo F2 bios menu F10 Boot Menu screen was the PXE screen, Pre-boot Execution Environment. After it checked something it said it couldn't find the media and said to insert it into a boot drive followed by a prompt to press any key. When any key was pressed it started over again searching for whatever. I can't seem to get past this screen.
If you can't go to BIOS set-up to change default settings from PXE media failure, remove the CMOS battery for a minute to reconfigure then reinsert it. Double check all connections RAM, cable,connectors are firmly seated to avoid certain failure. Then complete the installation suggestion if everything goes well.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 05:56:44 AM »
You have to boot to the recovery disk. That is not happening. Double-check the Boot order.
Just to clarify - you have to do this in the bios

comp-illiterate

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:46:36 PM »
    Success!!!! (but for how long?) I'm still kinda weary though, I feel like the next computer problem is right around the corner.

I tried a second time right after the first with the disk in the drive and it worked. I wish manufacturers would be a little more specific. This HD makes a lot less noise. The previous one sounded as if it was going to take off.

Only two questions remain: What do I do with the old HD? Electronic recycling center?

And

What in the world am I going to do with 1000 Gigs? I don't think I could fill that from now until our next comp purchase.

Thanks for your help everyone.