Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet connection  (Read 2454 times)

slambos2500

Topic Starter

Rookie

Internet connection
    « on: March 07, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »
    Hi

I have a desk top and a laptop , also a Dlink router with a  6” wireless antenna attached.
    I have AT&T high-speed DSL. My laptop is in another room and is wireless My Operating system is WindowsXP.

I have an unusual problem, when I connect to the internet I can only stay on for about two hours and then it will disconnect me. In order to stay connected I must connect modem directly to the desk top. And then I cannot use my lap top.   In order to use the laptop I was told by AT& tech support to turn the computer off  then the modem and then the router and wait 20 seconds and then turn on the router and then turn on the modem and then turn on the computer and it will work both the desktop and my laptop.

AT&T tech support says that they cannot help me unless I buy a router from AT&T obviously I do not wan to spend $150 plus for a router if I don’t have to.   This is very annoying to say the least.
    Are there adjustments or  other connections that a  I can Make I  or is it necessary to take it into the shop?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Internet connection
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
    AT&T tech support says that they cannot help me unless I buy a router from AT&T obviously I do not wan to spend $150 plus for a router if I don’t have to.   This is very annoying to say the least.
    Right. But if you buy the thing from them it will work.
    BTW, do you know the make and model of the modem?
    (That one-pony modem is a #$%^.)
    What is the model of the one modem you have and the  modem/router they offer?