Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Thrashing  (Read 7069 times)

bcripps

Computer Thrashing
« on: August 16, 2005, 07:21:37 AM »
I would sure appreciate some help on this one:

Windows 2K boots up in normal mode but as soon as I see my desktop I hear the drive thrashing.  The cursor hangs every 10 seconds for about 4 seconds.  After about 30 seconds I get the "Specified I/O operation on Device\Harddisk0\DR0 was not completed before the time-out period expired" window. I click "continue" but files are very slow to open or fail to open when selected.  

In Safe Mode, I get a similar start-up but when I hit the "continue" button on the first Expired Window, things run normally.  I ran ewido (took a while because the program kept freezing after scanning a few files after which I had to hit the "continue" button) and it came up negative for virus.  Trend Micro, Spy Bot and Ad-Ware just freeze up the system... this all in Safe Mode.

Cooling fans seem to be operating well.  Oh, I have 256 mb ram.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas for me.  My computer skills are VERY average, but I'm learning.  

Again, thank you.  This is a great site!!!

Bryan Cripps

merlin_2

Re: Computer Thrashing
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 03:32:24 PM »
Do you have any p2p programs?run chdsk in safe mode/download hardrive diagnostics..check the events log in the admin tools/control panel........
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 03:34:02 PM by merlin_2 »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:00:42 PM »
BC:

Something is overworking your hard drive, or your hard drive is about to die.

When you say it is "thrashing" do you mean it is making pinging noises, or is it simply making the normal noises it makes when it is working hard?

Did this behavior begin recently?  If so, what changes have been made (such as a new program installed, new hardware added, or modifications made to the operating system settings) just prior to this happening?

Are there many programs starting when you boot the computer?  How much free space is available on the hard drive?  

Let us know,
Doc
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 07:01:55 PM by pcdoc4christ »

bcripps

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »
Hey Merlin & Doc... thank you both for your reply.

OK... no P2P programs, Merlin.  I tried running chdsk in safe mode but it locked up the system.  Do I need to know the maker of my drive to download the hard drive diagnostics?  Is there an easy way to do this without a manual?  I opened the Events Log and it is a list of Warnings and Errors!!!  As I scroll down I get a window that tells me the Events Log is corrupt!!! What's all that about???

The noise is not the norrmal drive running, Doc.  It is a distinct "te-te-te-te...te-te-te-te...te-te-te-te...te-te-te-te."  It started about 20 days ago just as I hit ""Add to Favorites".  There hasn't been any changes or additions to the system.  I'm not sure how to check the number of programs start up at the boot, but I'll work on that.  There is 15.4 GB of free space.

Again, thank you for your help.  I look forward to learning more and hopfully fixing my problem.

All best,
Bryan

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 02:24:23 PM »
Download hard disk diagnostics from the hard drive makers website........

bcripps

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 02:04:39 PM »
Hey Merlin...

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 and I believe the drive is by Western Digital.  Went to their site and ran their "Life Guard Diagnostics-DLGDIAG for Windows"  Is this want you are requesting me to do?

The Extended Test immediately started the computer thrashing and everything locked up.  I ran the Quick Test and got a window stating "Failed read test element.  Test not complete."

How can I be sure I have a Western Digital drive?

Thanx again...
Bryan

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 02:28:05 PM »
Unscrew the case/or if its  laptop slide the plastic slider,and pull the plastic handle out!If its under warrenty called the service mob out....
<refurb>also check for ( the new worm on the block post)computer news

QUOTE :Windows 2K boots up in normal mode but as soon as I see my desktop I hear the drive thrashing.  The cursor hangs every 10 seconds for about 4 seconds.  After about 30 seconds I get the "Specified I/O operation on Device\Harddisk0\DR0 was not completed before the time-out period expired" window. I click "continue" but files are very slow to open or fail to open when selected
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 02:28:44 PM by merlin_2 »

bcripps

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 11:07:45 AM »
Hey Merlin...
Never opened up a computer before and had to go on line to find where all the little catches are!

Anyway the drive is an IBM Deskstar.  I ran the diagnostic program and it came up with Failure Code 0X-70 - Defective Device and a Technical Result Code (TRC) 7000F756.

Any of this mean anything to you?

Bryan

Mac

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »
For example... "failure code: 0x70 defective device" with a Tech result code: 70009596."

Basically there are one or more corrupted sectors on the drive.

So. Back up your important data OFF the drive FIRST!

Delete the corrupt events logs.

Follow this clean up procedure...

"Run Disk Cleanup and remove all but the last restore point. See if your System Restore cache and Recycle Bin size is set at a reasonable level (Say 1024Mb) on each drive, and reduce the IE Temporary Internet Files cache and History cache to the minimum. Install CCLeaner and clean out all of the junk files. Unhide all files and folders and remove the hotfix uninstallers ( $NTUninstaller$ ) from the hidden C:\Windows folder and remove their entries from Add-Remove programs.
(Note: Some Security updates should NOT be removed so check in add-remove programs - before - doing this task.)
Then remove the contents of:

The C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations folder
The C: WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
The C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder
The C:\Windows\pchealth\helpctr\Datacoll folder, and...
The C:\Windows\Prefetch folder

(You can add these folders to EmpTemp if you have this program installed.) Then run chkdsk and defrag."

EmpTemp & CCLeaner File Cleaner

To make your shutdown work cleanly install the... User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

Couple of extras here for later...

TweakUI is useful to have on your system for certain repairs... Powertoys/TweakUI

ERUNT-NTREGOPT

Then run chkdsk /r and allow chkdsk to run on a re-boot.

Looks like you need to low-level format the drive, try a program like HDD Regenerator, or simply buy a new, faster, bigger, drive, with a bigger buffer, and whilst you are in there you might as well fit another 256 MB of RAM
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 02:33:50 PM by Mac »

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 04:23:06 PM »
To troubleshoot this issue, restart the computer or rescan the disk to try and return the disk to Online status. To rescan the disk, open Computer Management, and then click Disk Management. On the Action menu, click Rescan Disks

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 07:51:42 PM »
...As I scroll down I get a window that tells me the Events Log is corrupt!!! What's all that about??? The noise is not the norrmal drive running, Doc.  It is a distinct "te-te-te-te...te-te-te-te...te-te-te-te...te-te-te-te."  It started about 20 days ago just as I hit ""Add to Favorites".  There hasn't been any changes or additions to the system.  ...

Bryan:

Mac is right on--your drive is about to die.  The sound is likely the drive heads hitting the side of the drive enclosure or, worse yet, hitting the platters.  That the event log is corrupt is another sign that the drive is going bad and damaging your files.  That you have an error code after running HDD diagnostics is another sign.

As Mac said, you should save your important files to floppy disks, or a compact disc, or some other storage media. You probably don't have much time left, since this has been going on for several days.

Regards,
Doc

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 07:53:25 PM by pcdoc4christ »

bcripps

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 09:19:29 AM »
Hey guys...

Thanks for all your help.  It looks like I'm off to the local computer store for a replacement driver.  Always something new to learn.

All best

Bryan

Mac

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 02:01:19 PM »
Go for another 256 MB of RAM if you can, and re-seat the old module before fitting the new one.

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 10:24:13 PM »

Anyway the drive is an IBM Deskstar.  I ran the diagnostic program and it came up with Failure Code 0X-70 - Defective Device and a Technical Result Code (TRC) 7000F756.

The IBM Deathstars had an unreasonably high failure rate, especially the 30 and 40 gig models, and if I were a betting man, I would put ALL my money on that, especially with that sound (known as the Deathstar rattle). Quickly back up all your important data and plan on getting a new hard drive soon.

There is a diagnostics program that IBM/Hitachi had for that, but if it was anywhere near death, it would complete the process immediately. (First hand experience here.)

Mark

Garybv92

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 11:19:51 AM »
Disk Thrashing is caused by an overloaded hard drive and/or not enough ram. Best case, leave 20 percent
free space on your drive ie. on a 100 gig drive less than
80 gig of data would probably solve the problem. Erase
or delete what is not essential 'till you reach that point
  If that does'nt do it you may well have to run some
HD diagnostics...Worst case...start backing up and go
shopping for a new HD.