Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't open Fujitsu internal hard drive hooked up externally to save files.  (Read 9781 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
What OS was installed on this drive ? ?
I'm afraid with what you ar ereporting that either the drive has failed ...or your data is gone...
You may want to consider a Data Recovery firm....PS: it ain't cheap...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Did, got diagonal lines and a menu with only Delete Partition ... and Help.  I can click on Disk 1 next to it and get properties.
I have a Fujitsu tablet that crashed. When I went to try to reboot, the system wouldn’t go past the bios to start up again in any of the startup options, ie. safe mode, last normal operation, etc. ...
All this indicates HD is damaged in some way, i.e. MBR, file system, bad sectors, etc.
Get the Fujitsu diagnostics here:  http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Since you have it connected as USB, try the Seagate Seatools, which works for most brands.

DebW

Topic Starter

Rookie

OS is Windows XP v5.1  SP3
    Screen shot of HD properties

General tab - FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G2 USB Device,
    device is working properly
    Volumes tab there are 3 volumes - Disk: Disk 1, Type: Basic, Status: Online, Partition style: MBR,

DebW

Topic Starter

Rookie

I will try the Fujitsu diagnostics and Seagate Seatools - thanks.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      General tab - FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G2 USB Device,
      device is working properly
      Volumes tab there are 3 volumes - Disk: Disk 1, Type: Basic, Status: Online, Partition style: MBR,
      If the drive is working properly, why did the Fugitsu tablet crash & was no longer able to boot?
      What is working properly is the USB adapter device which the drive is attached to.  If the drive were working properly, you would be able to assign a drive letter to Disk1, Partition1.

If it's only a corrupted file system or MBR, then deleting partition, creating partition & formatting will restore the drive but NOT the data.  How important is the data to you?  Hope you have a backup of the data because it's probably lost.

DebW

Topic Starter

Rookie

The data is very important, it's 6 months worth of work.  My office ordered an external back up drive about a month ago and I was waiting on it. I normally work off servers from my parent org but the connection was too slow to be productive, so I saved research and draft versions on the laptop drive and then uploaded final versions to the servers.  I need to retrive all the communication (emails, attachments, calendar, etc) and working files, research, etc. off the laptop hard drive.  When I boot up the laptop, I get the perverbial "We are sorry for any inconvenience, but windows did not ... and after highlighting one of the options, safe mode, last normal..., etc. it freezes up.
        I ran seatools and saw that it was assigned drive Q, but it won't let me change it from basic to dynamic to read. Any ideas?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        Purchase Spinrite for $89 & hope for the best:  http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
        It will run a lot faster if the drive is connected "natively", in your case, IDE (PATA).  This means putting it back in the notebook and creating a DOS boot disk or boot CD.  Spinrite runs under DOS, not Windows.

Your only other option is a data recovery firm, which will cost $100's.