Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange question re: trouble viewing specific site  (Read 15836 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Strange question re: trouble viewing specific site
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 03:46:07 PM »
hockey4hope.org loads fine for me.
www.rivercitybats.com loads fine for me.
www.lessthanperfectsaint.com loads fine for me as well. (you fat-fingered the URL there I assume :P)

All three resolve and load perfectly fine. I'm using OpenDNS for Domain Name Resolution.

Interesting, however, is that the Computerhope "is it up" tool, found here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/isitup.cgi

reports HTTP error 500- Internal Server Error on ALL of these URLs.

downorisitjustme.com reports that all sites are up.

It's hard to say why. If your Server is giving Internal Server Error's it might be an issue on your side but only with specific browser headers.

Those getting "Server Not found" could try another DNS server (such as OpenDNS) to see if it works then.

If the(s) site were recently registered (say, a month or so, maybe even longer) it could be that some ISP DNS servers don't have the entries yet, for whatever reason.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »
    Something has changed because hockey4hope.org is now loading for me and it wasn't yesterday.

mikebigado

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
    I designed a site for a charity and for the most part everything is great. The one problem I am facing is that I have 2 people (out of at least 100) that can't access the site. These 2 people are not exactly tech-savvy but I need to try and fix the problem (if it is in fact my problem to fix). It's a very simple, one-page site. I can see it fine on PC and Mac, multiple browsers, in and out of the house and on different OS. I'm not sure what I can do. Here is the site -

http://www.hockey4hope.org

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Not sure if you are using virtual hosts on this server but that maybe the problem.  Also your DNS may not resolve when the users don't use www. and just the domain.  Without more info just guessing.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 05:27:31 PM »
    Sun 14 August 11:26 PM GMT following the link http://www.hockey4hope.org gets me this (Firefox 5.0)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
    Couple of points of order:

When a browser goes to a web server, one of the things included in the request is the "host header".  If my browser is off to www.google.com, first it uses DNS to find the IP address, then it goes to the server at that IP address and says "Hey, I want 'www.google.com' - do you have that site?"  Hence a server at a single address can host multiple different web sites.

With the site above, you would not get the desired results when browsing just to the IP address because the responding web server doesn't know which site you want.

What we're now seeing is a "Directory Index" from Apache, the host's web server.  This strongly suggests a server misconfiguration, or possibly a failure on the OP's part to upload the web files to the correct place?  I suspect the former rather than the latter though.

To resolve this, you really need to speak to the web host.  Failing that, take at look at any .htaccess files you're using - in fact post their contents here for further comment.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 05:24:52 AM »
    Last post: March 04 2011. Good job lads.

:)

If this needs to be re-opened, PM me.