Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I use both earphones and speakers on a desktop computer?  (Read 4582 times)

trehwald01

I am trying to install Dragon Naturally Speaking(dictation software) on my computer  - which is a state of the art desk top running windows 7. The problem is straightforward: I already have external desktop speakers for music and videos. Dragon Naturally Speaking is a dictation system that requires a headset with microphone and earphones. When I plug in the headset, it preempts my desktop speakers whether or not the Dragon software is turned on or off. The vendor of Dragon says the only way to hear my external speakers is to unplug the headset whenever I want to listen to the speakers. Given the location and configuration of the desktop, this is inconvenient in the extreme. Anybody know of a software or wiring solution?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: How do I use both earphones and speakers on a desktop computer?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
My laptop has separate plugs for MIC and EAR.
I have no problem using both speakers and MIC at the same time. Just do not plug in the EAR plug. Just use MIC.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:28:21 AM »
Obviously the above post does not answer your question. To the best of my knowledge there is no way around your problem.

Jairus

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:45:40 AM »
What kind of headset and speakers are you using?  How do either connect to your PC?  Are they usb connected or via 3.5 mm audio jack?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:57:52 AM »
Get a Y adapter with 1 male jack plug and 2 outlets and plug the adapter into the speaker socket then plug both the headset and the speakers into the adapter. This is what I have done.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:03:45 AM »
Get a Y adapter with 1 male jack plug and 2 outlets and plug the adapter into the speaker socket then plug both the headset and the speakers into the adapter. This is what I have done.

And you can use the mike and headset while the speakers are still active? That's surprising to me.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 06:14:40 AM »
My headset has separate mike and headphone jacks

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 06:18:11 AM »
Ahhh

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »
if he has a headset with just one jack which serves both the headphones and the mike then he can't do that - maybe he will clarify?