Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE7 and IE8  (Read 4348 times)

jagwinn

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    IE7 and IE8
    « on: February 26, 2011, 02:52:55 AM »
    Hello!
    I am currently using IE7 and Vista Basic Home. No problems, really. I used IE8 with WinXP and like very much the fact that the FIND ON THIS PAGE search box stays open from site to site, page to page. I just click on the search term with the mouse and the page is searched.

On IE7, the search box dissapears when I go to another site/page and must be again selected from the EDIT pulldown.

Here is the problem! I went to Windows Upgrade site, and selected IE8 to download. It tells me I need to have additional Vista updates to complete the download and leave a link on the DESKTOP. The links on the desktop are DEAD.

I then did something silly!! I tried to download IE7 (the very browser I was using) and Microsoft says that IE7 is NOT COMPATABLE WITH THIS OPERATING SYSTEM.

I will continue to use this IE7 and put up with the clumsy FIND ON THIS PAGE panel, but I thought this was and interesting situation.

John
    No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: IE7 and IE8
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »
    Are you getting Windows Updates on a regular basis?  You should normally get some automatic updates at least once every month. 

Did you try to get Windows updates, not an IE update, but Windows updates?  Try getting them via Windows Update on your Programs menu.

Regarding the Find function in IE7, I think you'll find the keyboard shortcut, Ctrl/F useful.  It saves moving your mouse to Edit on the main menu to get to Find.

jagwinn

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »
      Hello Soybean,

I did follow a habit of upgrading Windows, until the last time for Vista Basic Home. At the last upgrade, the OS went crazy. Looping start to load to shutdown. I eventually got it to start in safe mode and did system restore before the update.

This same thing happened with the WinXP Home Media Edition on the other HD.

I have not updated any Win OS since then. I thought if the IE8 needed just the 3 files that were listed on the links posted to desktop by the update wizard then I would try that, but like I said, the links do not go anywhere.

I would like to find a small program that would stay open and run a search on everypage I view for the search term (heavy into genealogy) and IE8 EDIT, FIND ON THIS PAGE did stay with me when surfing [residing in the toolbar section.

John

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »
      Do you still have the Windows XP computer?

I suggest you go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx, download IE8 and try installing it. 

Alternatively, download and install the Firefox browser.  It leaves the Find box open when switching from one tab to another.

jagwinn

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
        Soybean,

I have the one computer, a Gateway laptop, but have 2 HDD: one with Vista Home Basic and one with WinXP Home Media Edition.

I have some problem with the WinXP. It was original to the laptop and developed some problems. I took it to a repair shop and they did some stuff that made some unusual results. Unhappy.

I ordered a recovery disk last week and hope it will be here Monday. I hope that puts me back on with XP. I need that for AutoCAD.

Now, about the browser. Thanks for the Firefox suggestion!! I am using it now and it does even more on the search than I was looking for in that it will highlight the term as well!! I think I will be very happy with the computer when it is restored to WinXP AND Firefox!!

Thanks again,
        John

jagwinn

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »
          Doing good!

Got the Gateway/WinXP restore disc from RESTOREDISKS.COM in Georgia and returned my Gateway back to original, 2005, condition.

Then installed FireFox.

Happy Camper!