Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: After uninstalling Steam, some Windows 7 control panel not accessible  (Read 3271 times)

TaeKwonDonkey

My laptop: Gateway NV53A, Windows 7 64bit, 4GB RAM (3.74 Usable)

Last Thursday, my computer slowed down to halt and would not do basic things like open the start menu or even perform a right click on the desk top screen. Multiple times, I had to hold the power button down to turn it off and with past experiences from my last laptop I know this can corrupt your hard drive. Eventually a friend who lives across the hall from me (I'm currently in college) was able to get my Norton antivirus open and after scanning more than 1 million files in the full scan, Norton found no virus or problems. My friend and I believed that the computer was slow because there were too many processes opening and after checking the tasklist we found that Steam. *32 exe and oovoo *32.exe were taking up too much memory. I couldn't defragment the computer until the next morning because it took a whole night just to open the disk defragmenter but after defragmenting the computer was fine.

On Saturday, the computer once again slowed down to a halt and this time I got the blue screen of death. After rebooting I somehow found that Steam *32.exe was using the most memory and oovoo *32.exe was using the third most after explorer.exe. I somehow uninstalled oovoo and went online and found that the only way to truly get rid of Steam was to go into the registry and delete the Valve folders there. However after doing this, some things have gone missing on my laptop.

- Usually when I press any of the volume buttons, a indicator would show up on the screen showing the volume levels but now that doesnt show up

-The control panel is completely blank

-Every now and then the computer will slow down

-Some svchost.exe services are taking more than 100,000k of memory and I'm not sure if I can stop them.

Please help me fix my laptop, I only got it right before classes started last fall. I don't want to have to use the recovery cds because I have a few programs that would very difficult to acquire again.

Kirbopher

Beginner

• Yes
    • The Computer Clan
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: After uninstalling Steam, some Windows 7 control panel not accessible
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
i think thats one of the only options, have you tried system restore and repair system?
Remember the 6 R's to troubleshooting
Retry, Restart, Research, Reinstall, Restore, Replace