Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any opinions pro/con this software? Tor  (Read 6587 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Any opinions pro/con this software? Tor
    « on: March 07, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
    What opinions exist re the utilization of this software? Is anyone using it with Opera and what are your comments? Articles on it claim it seems to function best with Firefox--comments? Anything that a potential user should be aware of that would constitute  a potential problem?
    truenorth

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Any opinions pro/con this software? Tor
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:21:17 AM »
    What software ? ?
    Never heard of TOR...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:55:07 AM »
    I have read that it is not as "secure" as some people think; malicious people and govt agencies can set up Tor outlets and snoop on the traffic.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:38:34 AM »
    What software ? ?
    Never heard of TOR...

As a forum moderator, it is definitely something you should be aware of.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
    malicious people

...can set up malicious TOR exit nodes and use iframes or fake web content to present zero-day exploits to anyone who surfs through your node.

govt agencies can set up Tor outlets and snoop on the traffic.

and also ID thieves, scammers, etc can snoop by e.g. setting up web content, such as Flash, to track your IP address and the content that you are browsing.

We often like to think that we should “trust nobody” with privacy or secrets. The reality is, with a TOR network, you are “trusting” the operators of the TOR exit nodes. These are basically unknown people running servers anywhere in the world, and you know nothing about them or their motives. Users of Tor are inherently more likely to be interesting to people who snoop, for various reasons.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »
      Thank you ST. In my reading on the concept it was mentioned that there are certain APPs that DO pose problems that can even be increased with the use of TOR. They were Flash/Java and others that play touchy feely with your computer (presumably to advise on updates). It seemed that while certain of it's benefits are attractive others may not be so. It does however offer enhancements beyond the "basic" program such as the Vidalia add on that seems to allow the user to institute more restrictive access parameters. There also seems to be the need in the basic to program your Apps to allow their connection to TOR (it isn't automatic apparently). There are of course many "proxy server" alternatives but this one promotes strongly that it does NOT monitor or store any of it's traffic or users. I suppose to accept that as fact becomes a personal decision of trust until otherwise proven. I really am endeavoring by my question to determine (from actual users) their experiences with it and how they feel about it. In an imperfect world i would NOT expect perfection but i do see some benefits to this in the personal security arena.truenorth
      P.S. I forgot to address this part of ST's observation as it was dealt with in my introduction to this software. "Users of Tor are inherently more likely to be interesting to people who snoop, for various reasons." Bear in mind this was undoubtedly the opinion of the person making the claim. However that person was in the internet security field at a high level of involvement. He claimed that basically TOR was too tame to be of interest to the "serious bad guys". They would have created their own apps to achieve their nefarious activities.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:21:38 AM »
      Articles on it claim it seems to function best with Firefox--comments?
      Can you cite such an article?  As far as I can tell from perusing http://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en and watching a video there, the portable Tor app (runs from a flash drive) uses Firefox.  But, if Tor is installed on a computer, as opposed to running it off a flash drive, then it would work with any browser.  Again, this is my impression based on what I've read so far.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
      if Tor is installed on a computer, as opposed to running it off a flash drive, then it would work with any browser.  Again, this is my impression based on what I've read so far.

This is correct.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
        Soybean, Here is the link for you to see the reference i made to the "firefox" association. Please note item "B".Also please note that it is derived from an actual link within the TOR project web pages.
        https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation.html.en truenorth

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:00:39 AM »
        Item "b" is related to the "bundle" that can be downloaded and installed on a flash drive.  So, again, that reference to Firefox is related to running Tor off a flash drive, not by installing it on your computer.  And so, again, I see nothing indicating that Tor works better with any particular web browser when installed on the computer.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:21:02 AM »
        I see nothing indicating that Tor works better with any particular web browser when installed on the computer.

It doesn't care what browser you use. It just exposes "proxies" on localhost. You can set up any browser or other software to use these.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
          Soybean, Not my intention to belabor the point however i am at the research phase and very far from anything approaching an expert on the subject. Therefore as i again read my earlier reference to the web site and item "b" i do NOT see anything that states your point. But i do see the emphatic reference to "firefox""Install the Tor bundle and try it out." Make sure you've got Firefox installed first, and be sure to read the list of warnings about ways you can screw up your anonymity. " Am i missing something? It may well be as ST has stated that one can probably use ANY browser (which would make sense) however in the context of the "unqualified " statement in the item "b" that is NOT self evident at least to me. truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
          It may well be as ST has stated

The problem is you are stressing about nothing. It is as I have stated. The author of that guide evidently thinks that Firefox is the way to go, maybe he doesn't know much about other browsers, or possibly he finds it easier to configure, but Tor is just a proxy and does not care what web, FTP, p2p, whatever apps you use. I have used Tor with a variety of applications.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 12:04:37 PM »
            ST, AH Ha! "I have used Tor with a variety of applications." that is what i was hoping for. As you note i was asking for the guidance of people that had actually used the program. Until your statement it was NOT clear to me that any of the responders was an actual user. I certainly am NOT stressing. But when i see a very emphatic comment as stated and it is on a page which seems to originate with the program's authors one tends to place some attention to it. Thank's again for the input. Is the guide with TOR simple enough in it's explanation of how to set it up to correlate with what ever apps one desires to associate with it ? I ask the question because it mentions it a a good tool or "programmers" (which i certainly am not). truenorth