Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removing Vista from old Hard Drive?  (Read 2488 times)

C_Grosvenor

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Removing Vista from old Hard Drive?
    « on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
    Hello! I hope this hasn't been asked before, but if it has i couldn't find it.  I am buying a new PC, which should arrive tomorrow.  It will have Windows 7 64 bit.  I currently have a machine running Vista 32 bit. I would like to take the Hard Drive from my old computer and add it to my new one as long as there is room for it.  I've seen people online talking about a "Dual Boot" machine, which isn't what I want to do. I would actually want to uninstall Vista from the old Hard Drive.

Can this be done? If so, how? Also, how dangerous is it? I'm not a computer expert (obviously) and don't want to attempt to do something over my head and lose all my stuff!  Thanks for your help.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Removing Vista from old Hard Drive?
    « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
    Are you prepared to lose everything on the drive? If so, simply format it. Install the drive in the new system, boot up, open disk management, find the drive you want to format, right-click on it, format. Simple process. And don't worry, Windows will not allow you to format the drive to which you have booted.

C_Grosvenor

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »
      No, basically what I'm trying to do is avoid transferring all my files and re-installing all my games.  New PC has a 1TB hard drive so space isn't the issue.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
      Can't be done...all apps need to be re-installed.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "