Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 7 & camera problem  (Read 7696 times)

wilmsp

Topic Starter

Beginner

7 & camera problem
    « on: March 09, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
    While this is not directly a computer problem - it is indirectly at least.  I bought a new laptop employing Microsoft 7.  I have a 3 year old Fuji FinePix S700 Camera but it's software require a new 64 bit driver which Fuji tells me they can't supply - only 32 bit.
    Does anyone have a clue where I might obtain such a driver? 

Thanks,
    Bill.

Salmon Trout

Re: 7 & camera problem
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
    Nobody will have a clue, because there won't be a 64 bit driver in existence. If Fuji, the camera manufacturer,  can't supply a 64 bit driver, what makes you think anybody else can? Depending on which version of "Microsoft 7" you have, (I presume you mean Windows 7) you may be able to install XP Mode and use a 32 bit driver in that. You need either Professional or Ultimate. Anything less won't do. Anyhow, why don't you just take out the memory card and put it in a USB card reader?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:21:47 AM »
    I don't understand why you needed a driver for your camera to work on Windows OS earlier or current. The CD software(Finepixviewer) that came with S700 camera is what you need to transfer or view files using a USB cable. Also a recent update version 5.5 for Finepixviewer is available for Win 7/Vista/XP/2000 is available.
    See here-> http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/finepix_viewer/index.html#windows5.5

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
    I have a Fuji FinePix 2650 and it's much older than your S700.  I've connected my camera to my Win 7 system and transferred photos without installing any photo software other than what's already in Win 7.  So, I believe you should be able to transfer photos without having any of Fuji's software installed. 

Exactly what happens when you connect your camera?  Open your Computer screen.  Does your camera appear there as a Removable Disk?  It should, and you can then just open the photos in Windows Explorer and copy them to your hard drive.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
    ...but it's software...

You don't need the software included with many USB devices, at least not for anything newer then Windows 98SE; most devices identify as a "class" of USB devices; for example a camera tells the computer it's a camera, a thumb drive says "I'm a storage device" and all modern OS's know how to communicate with devices of each class. Camera's are sometimes different; for example when I plug in my Samsung L100, the computer doesn't detect it at all unless the camera is on (not surprising) but I also have to choose a option on a menu that the camera presents: I need to choose wether it's connecting to a Computer or to a Printer.

This is somewhat important since not all camera's present the option; with "Computer" it shows up as a standard Mass storage device- I cannot use it as a camera or webcam, for example; it isn't detected as one, merely as a hard drive.

When I say "printer" however, the camera "connects" as if it was a camera, and supports camera-like actions like Picture Transfer Protocol and pictbridge. I assume it would be usable as a webcam but the camera connects and disconnects constantly so I can't find out much more about it then Windows 7 stating it found a Digital Camera constantly.

This is somewhat relevant here because some older cameras don't support use as a Mass storage device; even certain models in a line might not, and in those cases they would need the "special software" to be used. I doubt that is the case here; they almost always show up or can be made to show up as mass storage devices, and worst case scenario means you would need a Card reader to read the SD card (or whatever the camera happens to use). Unless of course the camera happens to be old enough to use a Serial or Parallel cable... in which case best of luck!  :-\
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

wilmsp

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Windows 7 & camera problem
      « Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:16 PM »

I must quickly apologize to thoe who responded to this post for having not replied sooner.  I haven't posted for a year or two and was on the understanding an email informed you when you had a reply.  I must have missed something.  Anyway, I downloaded IrvanView and with my camera plugged in it picks them up.  Then as a UBC connected device. find my camera included  as a Portable Device and by clicking on the icon, I am able to view my current shots on the camera.  Great! -  BUT there appears to be no way to save them even individually.  So, I am only halfway out of the woods.  Any further suggestions?  And, again thanks for the previous suggestions.

Bill.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
      Find the drive letter in Windows Explorer and open the drive and copy or move the image files. Or else remove the card and put it in a card reader.