Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Partition concern  (Read 4175 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Partition concern
« on: March 09, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »
I recently installed a 500 GB HDD to go along with a 250 GB that is running Win XP. I cloned XP to the 500GB drive and installed Ubuntu on that same drive. Both O/S's are running OK on the new drive but I'm concerned when I look at the partitions. I've attached a snap shot of of the current partitions. The first two Win partitions appear OK, but it's the other three that concern me. I allocated 6GB for the swap and 8O GB's(Ext4) for Ubuntu. Anyway,in total I should have approx.700 GB and what shows is less than 500 GB.
Looking for ideas /suggestions. Thanks, overthehill

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Partition concern
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
It is OK.
Do you need an explanation?

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »
It is OK.
Do you need an explanation?

That would be nice. If possible I'd like to know where the 200 GB went :o
Also now when "Disk Imaging" this drive, is what I'm presently seeing, what I'll get?

Thanks, Geek. overthehill

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
... would be nice. If possible I'd like to know where the 200 GB went
Rather tan give you the right answer -
Pick from the following:
1> You will get the 200 MB back after you fill your tax return
2> The 200 MB loos is from  IEEE definition.
3> The vendor gave you such a good deal he kept 200 NB.
4> Some space is lost in hole in the middle of the disk.

Give up?   ;D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

There will be a pop quiz tomorrow...

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »
Rather tan give you the right answer -
Pick from the following:
1> You will get the 200 MB back after you fill your tax return
2> The 200 MB loos is from  IEEE definition.
3> The vendor gave you such a good deal he kept 200 NB.
4> Some space is lost in hole in the middle of the disk.

Give up?   ;D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

There will be a pop quiz tomorrow...

Before I can take your quiz, lets try this again. This is taken from your link.

This means that a 300 GB (279 GB) hard disk is indicated only as 279 GB. As storage sizes increase and larger units are used, this difference becomes even more.

So now. If 300GB is actually in reality 279GB. How can 500GB result in 232.87 GB?. I realize that the bigger the drive the more that is lost (as above). But consider this, if you look at my png.file, my 250GB drive totals to 232.89GB ,fair enough. But for my 500 GB to only realize 232.87 GB (this is less than the 250 GB drive), something is just not right. If it is ,according to this logic , remind me not to buy a 2TB HDD. Be lucky to end up with a 100GB.  overthehill

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Consider:
Code: [Select]
1024 ^3 = 1073741824                   
1000 ^3 = 1000000000
This means for every GB you lack about 74 MB
Wait! That can't be right!
HELP! We need help here! Who has a calculator!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:03 PM »
So now. If 300GB is actually in reality 279GB. How can 500GB result in 232.87 GB?.
It doesn't. Looking at the image I see one 500GB drive being listed as   5.59GB+74.50GB+152.78GB+230.42GB+2.46 =465.75GB. There is only one physical Hard disk drive being detected and shown by disk management. the 250GB drive is not there. the near 250GB partition is the result of you cloning the 250GB to this 500GB. No idea what you did with it after. Either you removed it (in which case you are silly for thinking that you can remove it and still use it) or you didn't swap about the new drive with the old properly. Connect the 250GB as a slave drive. It will still have the same data as before. You can wipe it however since it is now cloned to the new drive.

But consider this, if you look at my png.file, my 250GB drive totals to 232.89GB
No. Your 250GB drive is not even in disk management. only the 500GB is. each physical drive is shown as a separate item. (Disk 0, Disk 1 in my case for my two physical internal hard drives). You only have one. the 232.89GB partition (NOT drive) is the result of when you cloned XP from the 250GB. Wither the 250GB is I don't know. As I noted you may have removed it for whatever reason, or it could simply be connected improperly (I'd bank on the latter).

But for my 500 GB to only realize 232.87 GB (this is less than the 250 GB drive)
All of the listed partitions reside on the 500GB drive, a total of 465.75GB. No 250GB drive is in the disk management image; there is a 232.87GB partition on the 500GB drive, but that doesn't magically give you extra disk space, nor does it have anything to do with the 250GB; which doesn't even show up in the upper list so is not being detected by the computer/Windows to begin with.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:41:47 PM »
Thanks once again BC_. Sure glad you came along. That makes perfect sense. I'll blame it on a "seniors moment" when I posted this. Yes, there's no way that I can have my cake and eat it too. With the 250GB disconnected ,how could I have possibly expected to see it in "Disk Management". :|| I guess what threw me is; when I look at "My Computer"(photo attached) is appears almost exactly as it did before I did all this magic.

While I got your attention, is the reason that I don't see the EXT4 partition because I'm looking at it from Windows?.  overthehill

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
While I got your attention, is the reason that I don't see the EXT4 partition because I'm looking at it from Windows?.  overthehill

That would be the case. Windows doesn't natively understand most Linux file systems. There are a few third-party filesystem drivers but they seem to be for EXT3.

there are separate applications you can use to read EXT4 from windows if you really need to, though: http://www.soluvas.com/read-browse-explore-open-ext2-ext3-ext4-partition-filesystem-from-windows-7/
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:13:44 PM »
That would be the case. Windows doesn't natively understand most Linux file systems. There are a few third-party filesystem drivers but they seem to be for EXT3.

there are separate applications you can use to read EXT4 from windows if you really need to, though: http://www.soluvas.com/read-browse-explore-open-ext2-ext3-ext4-partition-filesystem-from-windows-7/
Thanks BC_. Much appreciated. overthehill :-[