Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can they independently co-exist ---"Eudora" & "Mozilla Thunderbird"!  (Read 6211 times)

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello There! :o

It seems very much like the "Same soul in two different bodies"; "Eudora" & "Mozilla Thunderbird" installed on WinXP based machine!

It is becoming relatively impossible for me to retain two different email A/c.s within these two, as any updation impacts the other!

Thunderbird was installed later to Eudora & yet it picked up the same A/c. with exactly similar settings, out of nowhere!? :o

Now, if I tend to delete an A/c. from within Thunderbird, same replica happens with Eudora??!

What should I do to get rid of one of these without having to altogether re-configure my email A/c.?

Salmon Trout

Re: Can they independently co-exist ---"Eudora" & "Mozilla Thunderbird"!
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:25:21 AM »
    Why do you need both email clients? Also, you did not state which of these you are using: (1) What operating system (2) What version of Eudora (3) What version of Thunderbird.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
      Hello Salmon!

I need both in order to configure 2 different email accounts within these. Iam well aware that a single client can handle multiple accounts BUT the issue lies with "Default" SMTP address.

Many a times, a mail is simply not able to reach the recipient(or lands in SPAM) because it goes through some other service provider's SMTP address!

Consider sending a GMX mail using Google's SMTP address! I have tried & experienced that such scenario is not completely flawless.

As far as Info required is concerned, here it goes:::

OS-Win XP, SP3
      Versions of Eudora & Thunderbird can be accessed using screenshots.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
      As you will note from the version information screens, they are actually differently named versions of the same program. Why don't you choose a different free email client?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
      I need both in order to configure 2 different email accounts within these. Iam well aware that a single client can handle multiple accounts BUT the issue lies with "Default" SMTP address.
      Can we re-state this?  Here's what I think you're saying.  If you have two email accounts setup in your email client (each account, of course, having a unique SMTP server), one of those SMTP servers gets designated as default by the email client and it uses that SMTP server regardless of which account you would like the recipient to see a message coming from.  Is that it?   

If that's it, I suggest downloading and installing Windows Live Mail.  It creates a separate set of folders (Inbox, Drafts, Sent Mail, etc.) for each account.  And, if you select an Account in the left column and then click on New to create a new message, it automatically assigns the related SMTP server for that account; that can be overridden if desired.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »
        Hello Soybean!

Your first paraphrasing holds true.

Every email client does definitely create separate Inbox,Sent....etc. folders for every email A/c. configured to it. But the issue remains mainly with the "Sending mails".
        We have to assign a default SMTP address, & in my experience, this can become a cause of trouble.

Imagine, my 2 mail A/c.'s configured with Eudora. One being a GMX Mail service & other belonging to Gmail (with Gmail's SMTP address being made default). I have observed many a times that mail sent through GMX is simply not able to reach the recipient owing to default SMTP assigned to that of Google's.

If there is a SYNC b/w POP or IMAP with SMTP of the same service provider, then everything definitely goes smoothly. However, if the "From: "address is of service provider A & SMTP of that of B, issue does definitely arise in some way or another. Either recipient do not get that mail or it lands somewhere in SPAM/Junk.

What's your experience of configuring multiple accounts within same client?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
        On all e-mail clients I've used the SMTP and other settings remained the same for all setup accounts. That is I've never had thunderbird try to access my hotmail account via my webhosts SMTP, or the other way around.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »
        I've made some screen prints from WLM (Windows Live Mail) to illustrate what I attempted to explain in my previous post.  Again, as you can see in the first image, WLM creates a separate set of folders (Inbox, Drafts, etc.) for each account.  Suppose I click on Hotmail in that left panel (referring to same image again) and then click on New (on toolbar at top) to create a new message.  WLM will automatically, i.e. by default, use the SMTP server for Hotmail; see the second image.  Likewise, if I click on the Embarqmail folder, the main folder for my Embarq email account (this is an ISP account) and then click on New to compose a message, WLM will, by default, show the SMTP server for my Embarq account.  And, the same for the Gmail account.  As shown in the third image, I can override the default SMTP choice for any of the accounts by clicking on the drop-down box at the upper right of the new message panel. 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »
        Nobody seems to have picked up my point above, about Qualcomm Eudora and Thunderbird really being differently branded versions of the same program, which makes some kind of "settings takeover" more explicable, perhaps. But only if not over-ridden. Eudora 8/Eudora OSE is really just Thunderbird 3.x with Penelope added. Eudora 7 was the last "real" Eudora.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 12:41:01 PM »
        Salmon, I guess you're addressing his original question about what he was experiencing with Eudora and Thunderbird; you're explaining why it happens, right? 

That's different from my comments here, which are focused on using WLM as a solution.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »
          Hello Soybean!

As per the evident screenshots, you are making a choice among the "From:" addresses & that cannot be construed( & give no idea) as default SMTP address!

Rather, you should post the Screenshots of Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing server address to check whether the default SMTP automatically changes as per the "From:" feild choice!?

If the "From:" address is of service provider A & default SMTP(as per above path) is of service provider B, then the issue persists.

As far as "Duplicacy" behavior is concerned, Salmon has pointed correctly that both are powered by Mozilla.

In that case, there arises a need of advisory.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
          Rather, you should post the Screenshots of Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing server address to check whether the default SMTP automatically changes as per the "From:" feild choice!?
          It does.  That IS what I've said. 

If the "From:" address is of service provider A & default SMTP(as per above path) is of service provider B, then the issue persists.
          I thought I made this clear in my last post but let me reiterate:

If I click on the Embarqmail folder, i.e. the main folder for my Embarq email account (this is an ISP account), and then click on New to compose a message, WLM will, by default, use the Embarq account as the From account and show the SMTP server for my Embarq account.  And, the same for using the Gmail account as the From account; the SMTP for Gmail will used by default.   

The SMTP for the Embarq account is smtp.embarqmail.com; for Gmail, smtp.gmail.com.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
            Hello Soybean! :-\

Please refer to the attached screenshot of your 'very-own' WLM. Please explain the evident scenario.In my case, MSN holds the default status irrespective of, even if I choose my ISP's mail A/c. from the "From:" drop-down menu.

Whole-hearted thanks for your time & effort...

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »
            The answer to the question (first sentence) in red text in your image is yes.   Regarding the second question (third sentence)  in red text in your image, which account is set as default comes into play when click on an email link on a website or in a file (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.).  In that event, Windows needs to know what email account to send From.  Otherwise, the default designation in the Accounts panel of WLM has no significance that comes to mind.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 01:58:38 AM »
              Thanks Soybean!

I got your point & it has definitely cleared my concept of "Default" in this context. I think, the other client makers should also designate a term -"Default A/c.", very much like WLM does, instead of just showing up as plain (default) & that too somewhere in dark corners of the SMTP server settings.

Have you ever tried using any other email client?

Lastly, did you replicate the 'Twin symptoms' of Eudora & Thunderbird?

All help appreciated & therefore a whole-hearted Thanks! :)