Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Disk Re-format Gone Wrong HELP!!  (Read 2980 times)

Adam Eardley

Hard Disk Re-format Gone Wrong HELP!!
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »
I recently reformated the hard drive in a 5 year old e-machines computer.  I thought I did.  I used the DOS format command and it seemed to go through the whole process.  I am running windows 98ME.

I used the disc that came with the computer (which includes windows) and re-installed everything clean.  The only problem is, when I turn the thing back on it seems to have some old software remaining on it.  I looked at the properties of the software and it says that it was installed in 2000.  I know it didn't originally come on the computer.  

How could a hard drive format miss anything?  I thought everything would be wiped clean.  I am also having error messages pop up when I access windows explorer and some other programs.  For example:  MSHTML.DLL keeps causing erros (all of the problems are related to .DLL files).  I really would appreciate it if someone could help me out.  Thank you.

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Hard Disk Re-format Gone Wrong HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 10:19:07 PM »
Well first you only need to post once.....someone will get to you eventually. Well if you want to refix your computer i suggest rereformat * note that is not a word. Get a floppy and go to http://www.killdisk.com and download the free version and reformat then go to http://bootdisk.com and get a startup disk. preferbally windows98se since i know how to use it. When you finish erasing using your startup disk use these 2 commands fdisk.exe and then Format C: this will partion your drive and convert it to FAT32

Adam Eardley

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 08:50:30 AM »
Sorry for the double post, "operator error".  I'll give what you said a try.  Thanks for the help.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 04:15:58 PM »
To clear up this post is it win98? or winme.......

Adam Eardley

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 11:40:39 AM »
windows me

merlin_2