Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB problems  (Read 2508 times)

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
USB problems
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:09:28 PM »
Hi, Im trying to help a friend who has a usb problem when connecting most usb peripherals to a win xp sp3 pc. It has an Asrock nv73-s motherboard and a nvidia chipset. Enen though the mboard specs lists usb2 as standard, there is no listing in device manager for an enhanced controller, which I interpret as no usb2. The error in windows says device not recognised. We could not locate the original disc for the mboard but im a little confused as to which is the problem, chipset driver or win xp? Failing that if I was to turn usb support off in the bios, would a usb2 pci card function as usb2. That might sound stupid but what im asking is there any requirement for any other support other than what goodies are on the usb card for it to work as usb2?

The gurus thoughts would be good, thanks

PS: sorry if this should be in the driver forum?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: USB problems
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
If it is a driver problem you need the drivers.
If the on-board USB is toasted, you get a PCI USB
card and install the drivers.
Here is a Bing with photos and prices.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=PCI+USB+&FORM=HURE

The above are brand names from good vendors. Yes, you can use a PCI card in addition to the on-board ports.  FYI USB issues are common, don't trash a motherboard just because the USB is poor.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »
Did it work before and is it newly formatted? Did you expand USB Controllers and look for any marks under Device manager? What type of usb peripherals are being connected? Some error could also point to a bad usb cables. Have you tried using another?  It seems this is an old mobo for I cannot find the link for its specs.

Natalie St

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
    I have a USB MP3 player, which doesn't work when connect it to my laptop USB. Is it the problem of my USB drivers or the MP3 itself?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:05:58 PM »
    I have a USB MP3 player, which doesn't work when connect it to my laptop USB. Is it the problem of my USB drivers or the MP3 itself?
    Please start your own thread.

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »
    Did it work before and is it newly formatted? Did you expand USB Controllers and look for any marks under Device manager? What type of usb peripherals are being connected? Some error could also point to a bad usb cables. Have you tried using another?  It seems this is an old mobo for I cannot find the link for its specs.

Hi, no recent reformat, some time ago the front panel usb ports got a bit flaky and the rear ones are now doing the same, it has 4 usb ports on the mboard. The mboard is about 2 years old. I did a seach for Asrock N73V-S and found drivers and manual no worries, sorry but i might not have given the precise model earlier. Tried different cables, and with and without powewed hub.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 12:43:59 AM »
    So what is the status of the mobo ports?
    front panel usb ports got a bit flaky and the rear ones are now doing the same, it has 4 usb ports on the mboard
    Tried different cables
    1. If no flags are under USB controllers, expand and right-click and uninstall all USB Root Hub(usually 4 of them) on your device manager and usb controllers. Reboot.
    2. Or try plugging PC to another Wall outlet.
    3. You could also try borrowing or swapping another power supply of same or higher wattage.