Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is this e-mail?  (Read 2441 times)

Bobh

What is this e-mail?
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:23:28 AM »
Hello -
For several weeks I have been getting strange e-mails.  They have my correct e-mail address and have a different sender.  Today it is:
"Dann Roseanne"<[email protected]     and the message is:   5sw
at the bottom below the reply, etc.  there is :   select message encoding   and  full headers
None of this means anything to me.  In the past I have not opened these e-mails as I thought they were virus or something bad.  However I opened this one today.    Does anybody have any idea what these e-mail are?     Thank you       Bob

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: What is this e-mail?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:42:45 AM »
What antivirus protection are you using?  Do you have any anti-spyware tools installed?

I believe one possibility here is that someone you know, who has you in their address book, has a virus in their computer that's causing it to send emails without them knowing this is happening.  And, the virus generates the random sender email address. 

Bobh

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:46:57 AM »
Soybean -
Thanks for your reply.   I have Avast antivirus which I run every couple of weeks.  I have never found anything.  I run Malwarebytes which once in a while deletes an item.  I run SuperAntispyware
every week and it finds and deletes several tracking cookies.
Several people I know has my address but are not too smart about computers.  What you say about one of them having a virus could easily be right.
Is there anything I can do, besides changing my address, to get rid of these emails? This is not a big thing with me just a bother.    Thanks     Bob

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:19:47 AM »
You might send a message to people who you believe have you in their address book and explain that you are receiving these strange messages, that you believe they may be coming from someone's computer without the owner's knowledge, due to a virus in their computer, and ask them to install an anti-virus program if they do not have one installed. 

Other than that, I don't believe there is much you can do other than, as you said, change your email address.  And, that might only be a temporary solution since you do not know exactly whose computer may be generating these messages and future email exchange with them could result in your new address getting retained in their system and in a resumption of these unwanted messages. 

If these messages contain some common element that could be used in a message "rule" or "filter", you could create a rule or filter that sends these messages directly to the trash folder. 

Bobh

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »
Soybean -
Thanks    -   I think I will live with the emails.  I don't have any idea who's computer might be infected.  I do know some of them use geeks to help them once in a while.  Maybe in time they will get their computer cleaned up.  Consider this problem solved and thanks again.    Bob