Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes after startup  (Read 11269 times)

campnuts

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer freezes after startup
    « Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »
    Also, what caused all this? Virus? Random? I didnt drop it or anything, it was moved but nothing major or different that before

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »
    Also, what caused all this? Virus? Random? I didnt drop it or anything, it was moved but nothing major or different that before
    Hard drive fail, they are only mechanical devices.  Spinning platters, moving heads, etc.

Hard shutdown, restart and let the check disk run again. Stuck at same point, except those 2 clusters arent there. Can you please explain that second paragraph, what exactly that is (sorry for rookieness). Also, what is that dell diagnostic thing, and how do I run that?
    We're trying to repair the hard drive, before calling it toast.  It sounds like it's booting to Windows.  If it is, copy off all your important data off next, because you may lose everything.  Then reboot again & at Dell logo tap F12 key & it should come up with Dell Diagnostic screen.  Follow the on-screen instructions, do not reinstall anything.  Dell Diagnostics will run basic hard drive tests, probably not much more than Windows chkdsk.

Seagatge Seatools might actually fix it.

What is your Dell Service Tag?  Located on nameplate on bottom.  It will provide link to everthing about the laptop.

campnuts

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »
      Service tag is: C89FVJ1

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
      Dell Inspiron 1545
      As I suspected, it's a Seagate HD:  Hard Drive, 500GB, S2, 5.4K, 2.5 SGT-WYATT

Inspiron Setup Guide
      See p.38, Dell Diagnostics

campnuts

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »
        Ran the dell diagnostics got this message:

Error Code 0142
        Msg Error Code 2000-0142
        Hard Drive 0 Status 79

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »
        Not good:  error code means HD has failed.
        http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/18337048/18460350.aspx

Boot to Windows & get the data off NOW!
        If it won't boot, create & run the Seagate Seatools CD.  If that fails, start shopping for new HDD.

Removing the Hard Drive

EDIT:  Do you have extended warranty?  If so, Dell will send you new HD if you give them the Service Tag & Diagnostic error codes.  Your Dell Tech support is still active, until 7/15/2010

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:46:13 PM by Computer_Commando »

campnuts

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 07:01:45 PM »
          What would be the best and easiest way to take my old data off? I bascially have just my iTunes music files and some Word documents on there. I can just take the songs off my ipod to the computer, right?

So basically I am starting with a new computer?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

campnuts

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
            Well I chatted with Dell, and the 0142 is hard drive failure. Luckily my warranty covers this and they are sending me a factory hard drive and a prepaid box to send the old one back no questions asked. I cannot believe how smooth it went. I would like to thank everyone who helped me on here so far. I am sure ill be back in a few days for help with the replacement, but the Dell website has a good tutorial.

Thank you again for your time to help me.

And another quick question - Will I have to re-download Window XP? My computer came with it on it and I do not have a CD with it on...
            « Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:51:16 PM by campnuts »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
            ...And another quick question - Will I have to re-download Window XP? My computer came with it on it and I do not have a CD with it on...
            Dell stopped supplying Windows CD's a long time ago.  You can ask Dell if the System Restore partition will be on the new hard drive they are sending (but probably not).  It may also be on the CD's that were shipped with the computer originally.  This partition is accessed through the BIOS, Ctrl+F11 or F12.  It's actually a compressed image of the hard drive in the "as shipped" configuration.  All necessary drivers are already installed into the image.

Read more about it here:  http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/
            Since you have Vista, this is more specific to your laptop:  http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/vista/

Your build sheet lists this:
            K160T Kit, Software, Overpack, WXPPSP3 Compact Diskette W/documentation, english

See p.44 of the Setup Guide, Dell Factory Image Restore.  It's not all that clear how it's done with a new hard drive.  You still have free tech support, call & ask them when you have installed the new hard drive.

EDIT:  Do you have extended warranty?  If so, Dell will send you new HD if you give them the Service Tag & Diagnostic error codes.  Your Dell Tech support is still active, until 7/15/2010
            Typo, your Dell Tech support is still active, until 7/15/2011

As for getting the data from the old hard drive, you may be able to slave it to your desktop, as Patio has pointed out.  Since the notebook drive is a SATA interface, you may be able to just plug it into the desktop, if it has SATA ports.  Desktop & notebook drives now use the same data & power interfaces.
            Top drive in pic, bottom drive is IDE (or PATA).

You can see the SATA connectors on your notebook drive from the manual.  Drive is upside down, so you can see the gold contacts.
            « Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:45:44 PM by Computer_Commando »