Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What temperature are safe with core temp?  (Read 3579 times)

onyxlibrarian

What temperature are safe with core temp?
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
I have no real idea what a safe temperature is for a CPU. I have read that different software reads different hardware configurations... differently. I have seen a few other posts from people worrying about 45 degree temperatures so I thought I should ask about the readings that I am getting. Hopefully all the information you need is on the picture. (And hopefully the picture loads, I'm new to this.)

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What temperature are safe with core temp?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »
Every CPU is different...check AMD's site for the temp ranges for that chip...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

Re: What temperature are safe with core temp?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 08:46:34 AM »
The AMD specs for the Phenom II 955 BE list the maximum temperature as 62 degrees C. Since it appears that onyxlibrarian's idling temperature is around 51 C (3% cpu load is idling) then he/she is running rather hot. There is  only 11 degrees headroom. My Phenom II 945 has a similar power consumption and max temp. Mine idles at around 25 C and even on full load it gets up to around 40 - 42 C. I have AMD Cool 'n' Quiet enabled. In my opinion better cooling is needed. If this is a self or custom build then I would be inclined to check that the cpu/heatsink assembly has sufficient thermal transfer compound properly applied and that the fan speed is adequate.

CPU specs here:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=532&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=