Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Virus  (Read 6533 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    New Virus
    « on: August 18, 2005, 11:04:17 AM »
    Hey, you guys hear about the virus? It is actually a worm, and it nearly knocked out ABC and similar broadcasting companies. Microsoft was so upset about it that it provided a way to stop the virus (http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/zotob.mspx) It affects any Windows OS, but hurts Windows 2000 the worst.
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 11:07:19 AM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Raptor

Re: New Virus
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 02:45:21 PM »
    What are the signs?

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 03:03:31 PM »
      Well, the first thing it does is copy itself onto your computer. You may notice the following things:

Presence of <system folder>/botzor.exe
      Presence of value: WINDOWS SYSTEM
      with data: botzor.exe
      in the following registry keys:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
      Excessive network traffic over port 445

It then uses your E-mail to spread. It can cause an extreme slow-down of your computer, especially as it functions. Microsoft considers the threat "Moderate" as it does no real damage to your system, meaning it doesn't delete any files like a true virus. But, it clogs your network and even reboots the computer from time to time. It infected computers at companies such as CNN, The Associated Press, The New York Times and Caterpillar Inc. From what I hear, Computer techs swore at their computers for hours before solving it.

The link I provided has a way to protect your computer as well as delete the worm if it does exist.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 03:34:35 PM »
      I tested the tool and it detected nothing. I like how it removes it self afterwards.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 06:19:04 PM »
      Nice to be informed dilbert...........how is lucas ..........

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 06:28:51 PM »
        To Raptor:

It's an E-mail worm, if I'm correct. So just be careful with your attachments for about a week.

I tested the tool and it detected nothing. I like how it removes it self afterwards.

Do you mean the virus deletes itself, or the checker? The virus, if you get it, sure as heck doesn't delete itself.

Nice to be informed dilbert...........how is lucas ..........

If Lucas wants me to watch his movies ever again, he'd better haul his tail-end to my house and fix my game problem... ;D

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 10:49:07 PM »
          Excessive network traffic over port 445

Does anybody still have 445 open nowdays?

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 07:44:10 AM »
          It's an E-mail worm, if I'm correct. So just be careful with your attachments for about a week.

I use Gmail.   ;)

Do you mean the virus deletes itself, or the checker? The virus, if you get it, sure as heck doesn't delete itself.

The removal tool deletes it self after having checked the system. It creates a temporary folder.

mysticelt

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 08:55:41 AM »
          There are at least 4 different worms competing against each other and trying to deprogram each other if they get into your pc at the same time.

They can affect your cursor, your bootup, your e-mail and I defy anyone to wait until they turn themselves off.

BTW- They come attached to emails from Company employees.  or people from your own email list.  

I know.  Unfortunately.

ash88

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 09:24:30 AM »
          have i got a virus coz yesterday my laptop was fine this morning i tryed to go on it and it turned on to the windows picture then go to a blue screen before i could read it, it would close down  >:(

if this is a virus can sum1 help me plz

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 11:29:20 AM »
          have i got a virus coz yesterday my laptop was fine this morning i tryed to go on it and it turned on to the windows picture then go to a blue screen before i could read it, it would close down  >:(

if this is a virus can sum1 help me plz

Why can you not scan for viruses?

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 07:04:59 PM »
            Hopefully, you weren't snooping around in the C:\WINDOWS folder  :D In all seriousness, there may be a virus, but it might be a computer crash from something else. If you absolutely CANNOT get on to Windows, you may need to run a Restore Disk.

***DISCLAIMER: RESTORE CAN WIPE YOUR HARD DRIVE AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED AFTER ALL OTHER POSSIBILITIES ARE EXAUSTED.***

If I were you, I'd use DOS if you have it to back up your hard drive, then run a Restore. However, there is no way to tell from what I've read.