Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Good screen recorder  (Read 2883 times)

TadasJA

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
Good screen recorder
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good screen recorder which wouldn't drop my fps by 80%, anyone know any ?

Fraps is out of question - it lags my PC as if it was a snail on ceisure or smth...

Tahnks in advance :)
I3 2.40ghz 4gb ram Ati Mobility Radeon hd5470 512mb

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Good screen recorder
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
If you have an S-Video, dual video port, or hdmi available on your video card that is not being used, you could always send this signal to a digital recorder and have NO LAG at all...only problem is that you also need to capture your audio which your video card does not output, so you would need to add a Y-splitter or send the audio directly into a digital recorder device (DVR) and then edit it later etc. Any software or hardware added to the system will use resources which will degrade performance. I have captured games before by use of S-Video port and a phono type headphone to RCA audio cable to get video and sound. I then can edit it and burn a DVD of the material which I then can place into my computer and edit it further by converting the DVD to a digital video MP4 or AVI etc.

This cost me just $20 in cables to do this, since I already have a DVR.

FRAPS is a resource hog, especially on older systems. If your running a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz and tried to use FRAPS, I am surprised you didnt have 90% lag. I own a copy of FRAPS and I would suggest that a true Dual Core System with at least 2 gigs of Ram be used and not a single core with virtual second core that the 3.2ghz probably as if its the P4 3.2Ghz HT (Hyperthreading). Also the hard drive should have plenty of free space available or you could run out of space quickly with FRAPS as for it writes directly to the hard drive without compression, so a 5 minute video capture could be as insane as 20GB in size until edited and compressed/encoded into say an AVI that is 300MB. FRAPS is mean on hard drives, the HD led will be pegged solid when capturing, which could be abusive to IDE drives while SATA drives would handle it better.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:40:48 PM »
FRAPS is a resource hog, especially on older systems. If your running a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz and tried to use FRAPS, I am surprised you didnt have 90% lag. I own a copy of FRAPS and I would suggest that a true Dual Core System with at least 2 gigs of Ram be used and not a single core with virtual second core that the 3.2ghz probably as if its the P4 3.2Ghz HT (Hyperthreading).
Heavier games may need more cores to keep up. I'm able to use FRAPS to record Fallout 3 gameplay at 1440x900 with absolutely no slowdown at all (surprisingly). Of course at that resolution, the files grow rather quickly.

FRAPS is mean on hard drives, the HD led will be pegged solid when capturing,

A lot of contiguous free space helps; this is one of the few scenarios that I personally would ever consider forcing defragmentation with the utility.

which could be abusive to IDE drives while SATA drives would handle it better.
ATA-7(133 mbps) hasn't yet been saturated by consumer level hard drives... Either way, he hardware is the same with either drive so wether the drive's logic board happens to be IDE or SATA doesn't really matter. Usually the throughput of a drive is well below the 133mbps saturation for ATA-7; the possible burst rate might exceed it but at the same time Bursts are short, usually a few seconds; recording a video via FRAPS usually pegs I/O DPCs for quite a while.

On that note, it's faster to write the data uncompressed then to try to save space "on the fly" by compressing it, unless you use a very simple codec, or if you have lots of spare cores lying around; otherwise it just means even more work and will usually even in the best of cases result in dropped frames.

Another possibility, depending on exactly what the game is and what you need the video for, is that many games allow for "demo" recording. You could record the gameplay in this manner and then play it back with an appropriate capture setup at a later time; some games even have built in AVI recording for Demo playback, which results in completely smooth video (since the program can takes it's time on each frame without skipping/dropping any)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

TadasJA

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:57:46 AM »
1. I don't have any recorders :-\
2. I don't have ANY money to spend on PC pimping :-X

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »
Could try Camstudio. Never used it myself.

I don't think it'll work very well; FRAPS is probably the more performant recording software (it works better then Camtasia for me, performance wise, certainly not feature wise)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

TadasJA

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
I'll try that, thanks :)

Maggie89

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »
    You can have a try on FlashDemo Screen Recorder http://www.flashdemo.net.You can have a free-trial but only 15 days..

It works really good but need money to buy if expired....

TadasJA

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:53 AM »
    Thanks, i'll try it :)