Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPUID HW Monitor - Just how accurate is this?  (Read 4300 times)

DeadJester

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    CPUID HW Monitor - Just how accurate is this?
    « on: March 30, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »
    Just recently installed a new graphics card so I was running CPUID HW monitor to make sure the temps looked good.  Everything was running fine.  I started to download a game off of Steam so I walked away for awhile to get something to eat.  By the time I came back the computer had been idling long enough for the screen to go into power save mode.  Moved the mouse and the first thing to appear on my screen was the CPUID program displaying a horrible temp change, although it wasn't my graphics card that was the problem.

It was the CPU.  The temps were reading in the 70's to 80's!!   :o

Now normally a question like this would be filed under hardware, but a few things don't add up.  First of all every time I add/replace a piece of hardware I always do a quick "spot check" around the PC.  Making sure all wires are secure, etc. etc.  One of the things I checked was the heatsink for the CPU, which was on as tight as ever. 

The other odd thing is that those high temps were only on there for a second.  Before the words "holy sh--" could finish coming out of my mouth they dropped down to the 50's, then the 40's.  Finally, nothing has changed with what I was doing on the PC besides bringing the monitor out of power save mode.  I didn't stop downloading the game or anything.  And while the temps now are still reading in the safe 40's, it still lists the highest temps read in the 70's/80's.  It has only done this with the CPU temps.  Everything else is running consistently cool.  Heck the mobo doesn't go above the 20's.

I'm still planning on going through the usual routine for such high temps.  Check them in BIOS to see if they match up, open up the case and double-check the heatsink, maybe even reapply the thermal paste.  But the whole situation just seems odd.

So I'm wondering if CPUID has any history of giving screwy CPU temps?  And is there possibly a better/more accurate temp monitor someone can recommend?  Thanks.  Specs listed below;

Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i SLI
    CPU: Intel Quad-core Q6700
    GPU: ASUS GeForce 210
    PSU: Corsair 850W
    RAM: 4G OCZ Gold

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: CPUID HW Monitor - Just how accurate is this?
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
    You could cross-reference to check on the difference by using another free software.
    Speedfan, SIW, Coretemp.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: CPUID HW Monitor - Just how accurate is this?
    « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
    From my experience, HWMonitor readings are off about 20 degrees (up).