Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel IF Statement  (Read 2292 times)

ian124

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Excel IF Statement
    « on: March 31, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
    I have searched the site but cant seem to find any IF statement that could do what I am wanting. Not even sure if an IF statement is what I need to be using.

I am creating an accounts spreadsheet and have each month in a separate workbook. I have created a drop down list of 8 reasons for money to move in or out. next to this will be the amount then a comment.

The problem I have is that I want there to be a total in and out for each of the 8 reasons, and also a total in and out for them all and red for a loss and black for a profit. I could colour them after but this sheet will be distributed to other users to fill in. Is this something that can be done? I have made it sound a lot harder than it needs to be

please contact me for any more info

Thanks

Ian

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Excel IF Statement
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
    What version of Excel are you using?  The Subtotals function comes to mind as possible technique that might serve your purpose.  A reference: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=358

BonzCXL

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Excel IF Statement
      « Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »
      As for coloring the numbers in a cell, look at conditional formating. You can set the font, or the background, to be red if the condition is <0. You could also make the font Bold and/or change it's size. There are many more things conditional formating will do.