Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading RAM: Crucial Says 2.6V RAM, but I Have 2.5V RAM  (Read 4514 times)

needhelpreallybad08

Topic Starter

Rookie

Upgrading RAM: Crucial Says 2.6V RAM, but I Have 2.5V RAM
    « on: April 09, 2011, 03:26:54 AM »
    I have a HP Media Center PCm1180n, with an Asus PTGD1-LA mobo, with 4 DIMM slots supporting 184 pin, DDR SDRAM (PC3200) RAM.  I'm running Windows XP, 32-bit.

Full specs here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00255702&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&key=null&product=432781

I wanted to upgrade to 4BG of RAM (4x1GB) - which I realize 32-bit Windows XP won't fully recognize.

Using CPUID's CPU-Z, I determined my current RAM runs @ 2.5V.

However, Crucial recommends RAM that runs @ 2.6V: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Media%20Center%20m1180n

As I do NOT have a mobo that supports manually adjusting RAM voltage, will I be able to use RAM that runs @ 2.6V?

Will it actually run the RAM @ 2.6V or instead still run it @ 2.5V?  Or will the mobo automatically adjust?

THANKS!

***My reason for posting a new topic is the fact that other topics involve people that have the ability to manually adjust voltages - and I do NOT have that ability.***

Salmon Trout

Re: Upgrading RAM: Crucial Says 2.6V RAM, but I Have 2.5V RAM
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:05:51 AM »
    The recommended voltage specified by the RAM manufacturer is the voltage at which they are satisfied that the module will be stable and perform as advertised. Very often the voltage supplied by the motherboard/PSU will fluctuate slightly above and below the nominal figure (in your case 2.5 volts). Anyhow, if Crucial recommend that module for your motherboard, and noting that it says "Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your HP - Compaq Media Center m1180n Desktop/PC." at the top of the page, I would just go ahead.