Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Make a windows folder secret and protected under any circunstance  (Read 6030 times)

Esgrimidor

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Make a windows folder secret and protected under any circunstance

I need a program to make a folder only accesible by a password.
    In other words : protect that folder.
    But I would like to be impossible too access tha folder from a live CD with Ubuntu or any other operating system.
    The folder must be protected under any circunstance.
    May be you can format the pc but impossible to access to that folder without the password.

Exists ?

Best Regards
    No dejes que tu felicidad dependa de lo que no depende de tí.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Make a windows folder secret and protected under any circunstance
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »
    Well, you could encrypt folders in Windows by using the encryption option built in to Windows but I'm not sure that prevents access via a Linux OS Live CD that you mentioned.  I think you might consider other options such as an external hard drive that is password protected; see http://www.softwaregeek.com/external-hard-disk-password/p1.html for some software tools for this.  Also, see http://www.aragonsoft.com/en/winsesame/ re: "the most powerful encryption software to encrypt and password protect all types of files and folders on hard drives, external drives, usb flash drives, CD, network and email attachments."

Another option might be an online storage which is, of course, password protected.  An example is http://www.adrive.com/

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »
    Why not just zip the folder and password protect it ? ?
    I doubt a live CD could get past that...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Esgrimidor

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »
      I'll try and comment everything.

Perhaps encryption of the folder may be the solution. Turn into a code nobody can't break.
      The password in a rar is a good solution too.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:49:01 AM »
      Make a windows folder secret and protected under any circunstance
      delete it.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Esgrimidor

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
        I think this is a good and superb solution. And mostly freeware - not pirate - and portable.
        I have tried blowfish and observed rename the file to other extension. This is independant of the operating system and equivalent to a rar file or similar.
        With a good password take years o centuries to discover and open.

Steganos offer a hide option.

Link Removed...
        Best Regards
        « Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:22:47 PM by patio »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:22:15 PM »
        4 Posts to wait and SPAM...i admire your patience...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Esgrimidor

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:46:32 AM »
          That's not the point.
          There was any bad intention. I am not a spammer.
          I simply suggest a useful link. I supposed is forbidden and excuse myself.

But other member put :
          Well, you could encrypt folders in Windows by using the encryption option built in to Windows but I'm not sure that prevents access via a Linux OS Live CD that you mentioned.  I think you might consider other options such as an external hard drive that is password protected; see http://www.softwaregeek.com/external-hard-disk-password/p1.html for some software tools for this.  Also, see http://www.aragonsoft.com/en/winsesame/ re: "the most powerful encryption software to encrypt and password protect all types of files and folders on hard drives, external drives, usb flash drives, CD, network and email attachments."

Another option might be an online storage which is, of course, password protected.  An example is http://www.adrive.com/

So I think is possible to put links.
          I observed my link don't like you for any reason......

I was about portable Encryption utilities :

Like these ones you can find in a searcher :

Toucan is an open source portable app that can be used to backup, synchronize and encrypt your data. Synchronizing options include copy, update, mirror and equalise. Backup and restore can be done using zip or 7-zip formats. Encrypt entire folder structures or files using AES-256 encryption via ccrypt.

FreeOTFE is a Free On The Fly Encryption tool that can be used for Portable USB Encryption. The tool can be used to create encrypted volumes, virtual disks or entire partitions using AES, Blowfish, Serpent, Twofish encryption algorithms. Volumes Encrypted by FreeOTFE may be file, partition, or disk based and will remain hidden until mounted and accessed via your password by the tool.

Androsa File Protector is a professional grade freeware file encryption software that can be used to protect your files by encrypting the content using some of the most advanced methods of cryptography. File Encryption is easy and you can be encrypting your work within minutes. Androsa File Protector is a Stand alone Portable File Encryption tool, requiring no installation.

Safe Calculator is a Free File Encryption Software that at first glance appears to be just another Calculator. However, hidden in this Calculator is a Safe that can Encrypt and completely Hide any file. The only way the Safe can be opened and the files viewed, decrypted or run is by entering the correct password in Encrypted "Safe" Mode. The default password is 123 and can be changed to any numeric combination.

SteganoG is a Portable Application that allows you to hide information or store confidential data in a bitmap image file. The image is used to safe guard your data by appearing as just an image to the viewer. Data stored in the bitmap image is compressed, encrypted and password protected. The SteganoG tool can be used to both hide and to extract the data or information from the image. The BMP image is simply used as a non conspicuous carrier and storage container for your data.

USB Encryption : USB Safeguard is a Freeware Encryption tool for Flash Drives. It can be used to password protect any files that reside on your USB Flash Drive. Simply create a password and then drag and drop files from your Flash Drive into the Window. To gain access the encrypted files, simply re-enter your password.

File and Folder Locker is a Free and Portable File and Folder Locking Tool "Encryption Tool" created by Al Emran Tareq. It can be used to encrypt and password protect files and or folders on your USB Flash Drive "Lock Files on USB" or any other NTFS Formatted Drive. The File and Folder Locker requires no installation on a PC. It can be run directly from the USB Device.

OpenPuff is a Free Steganography and Watermarking software tool created by Cosimo Oliboni. As the name suggests, OpenPuff can be used to Watermark Photos, Images, and Pictures. It can also be used to Encrypt or Hide Data in a file. The hidden data or messages can then only be accessed by entering the proper password via OpenPuff.

Handy Encryption is a Free File Encrypter offered by ApiMash of InstallWHAT. This Portable File Encrytion Software can be used to secure or prevent important files from being read or modified by using AES-256 bit + Password hashing encryption. Once a password is set, the data in the file can only be decrypted by entering the correct password via the same Handy Encryption Tool.

Blowfish Advanced CS is a Free and Portable File Encryption Program created by Markus Hahn. It can be used to encrypt and protect files with a key built from a password, keeping everyone but you from accessing the contents of the protected files. Blowfish Advanced CS also includes a feature to erase or Wipe files that are no longer needed, making the data from them irrecoverable.

LockNote is a simple to use text tool that allows it's user to password protect their written text or notepad information with password encryption using AES 256bit encryption technology. A user can create new files from scratch or drag and drop existing text files into the LockNote window to encrypt them as well. LockNote is a must have utility for those that like to store important or confidential information in text files.

USB Encryption: TrueCrypt is disk data encryption software that can be used to securely encrypt the information stored on hard disk partitions, portable storage media and USB flash devices. It can be run from a USB device in traveller mode. TrueCrypt works by creating a virtual encrypted disk within a file and then mounting the file as a real disk so it can be accessed as a storage medium. Encryption is done automatically on-the-fly. TrueCrypt uses Twofish, AES-256 and Serpent encryption algorithms to secure the stored data.

Omziff is a FREE Portable Encryption utility that utilizes common cryptographic algorithms to both encrypt and decrypt textual file types. Omziff can generate random passwords, splits files, and perform secure (DOD) file deletion as well. This tool uses Blowfish, Cast128, Gost, IDEA, Misty1, AES/Rijndael, and Twofish encryption algorithms. This Portable encryption tool requires roughly 356KB of free disk space for installation.

Remora USB Disk Guard is FREE USB Flash Drive Encryption Software that can be used to Encrypt files and folders either on your USB drive or even on a local hard disk. Because Remora USB Disk Guard is completely portable, it can be stored and run directly from a flash drive or portable storage device, requiring absolutely no installation. It's easy to use, you simply select to encrypt an entire folder or file, then when you wish to read the contents of a folder or file, select the option to decrypt a folder or file.

Rohos Mini Drive is a FREE Portable Partition Encryption tool that can be used to create a hidden partition on a USB device that is password protected. The Software doesn’t require Administrator Privileges to open the password protected USB drive partition on a guest computer. It can be run directly from a USB device and once a protected partition is setup it is accessible via a correct password entry only. The encrypted USB partition appears as a new drive letter and can be managed, resized, deleted etc via the interface. This Portable USB Flash Drive Encryption Software requires just under 1MB of Free disk space for stand alone installation.

File Encryption is a Free Portable File Encryption utility or tool that can be used to protect your files and personal data by scrambling the information into an inaccessible form. The information will then appear scrambled to anyone who attempts to access the file. The Encrypted files can be  Decrypted via the File Encryption software after entering the password you set to access the file. This tool is approximately 860KB unpacked

Yadabyte Shhh is an Open Source Portable Encryption tool that can be used to safely encrypt text based entries, notes or documents. The portable encryption software could be used to store MSN messages, notes, emails, credit card info, login/passwords or even to secure secret notes between friends as only those with password access can retrieve the information. The text based information is secured using AES 256 encryption.

SafeHouse Explorer is a Free Portable File Encryption Tool that can be used to create a protected volume or file storage vault, making the files within invisible until you enter a password. SafeHouse Explorer uses 256-bit industrial strength military grade encryption techniques to encrypt files.  The tool features a drag and drop type interface making it very simple to use.

For me was easier to put simply the link to this freeware.

Spam is useless information. Negative information. This is useful.

If your permit information about aragon soft , there must permit my information too.

Best Regards

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »

I installed Folder Lock 6 from softwaregeek. Now I see that it is not free and want to uninstall it but I can't. It isn't listed in my Control Panel Add/Remove programs. It is listed in All Programs but when I click the uninstall option, nothing happens.

How do I get rid of Folder Lock 6? Thank-you.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:52:30 PM »
            Get Revo Uninstaller and use it to remove that pesky program.  http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html.  You can use the free version.

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
              Thanks Soybean. I think I got it unistalled. Found instructions in the FAQ section. Why do you call FolderLock 6 pesky? I thought you were recommending it?

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »
              I was referring to FolderLock 6 as pesky because it would uninstall in the usual way, pesky meaning annoying or troublesome.