Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "System" Process in Windows Task Manager  (Read 3327 times)

Daviddd

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    "System" Process in Windows Task Manager
    « on: April 09, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »
    My Sony VAIO, running on Windows XP, is running very, very slowly, with lots of trouble with internet browsing.  I noticed in Windows Task Manager a process called "System" that is using a lot of memory.  See attached screenshot.  Is this normal?

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Salmon Trout

Re: "System" Process in Windows Task Manager
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
    That is rather high. Personally I think AVG Antivirus may be the culprit... Try disabling it for a short while and if the System memory use goes down try uninstalling it and installing Kapersky instead.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »
    Well, if you want to check to see if AVG is the culprit (not sure why it would be, but okay), there's no need to buy Kaspersky (though it is my favorite). You can try Avast or Avira instead - both are free and, in my opinion, better than AVG.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
    I did see a lot of reports about high System memory usage being caused by AVG. You are right about Kapersky. I got a free license once in a promotion. Windows Security Essentials is free if you can pass WGA.