Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cd/DVD drive just rattles but doesnt play  (Read 5064 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Cd/DVD drive just rattles but doesnt play
    « on: April 26, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »
    I have a compaq presario v2000.  Problem is the CD/DVD drive doesnt seem to want to work.  I put in a cd, but nothing happens, the light on the cd drive goes on like it trying to read but then the light goes off after a while and thats the end of story.  I go to the device manager and the driver is listed.  I go to my computer and I see the cd/dvd drive.  So why is it not playing

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Cd/DVD drive just rattles but doesnt play
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
    6 + year old laptop...probably a dead drive.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
    6 + year old laptop...probably a dead drive.
    Ditto.
    Evil is an exact science.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »
      bit if the drive were dead , then shouldnt the light on the drive not shine and also the disk that is put in not spin.  What about say refreshing the CD driver/firmware or uninstalling the device from device manage and then scanning for hardware changes.  Could that possibly bring it to life

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »
      bit if the drive were dead , then shouldnt the light on the drive not shine and also the disk that is put in not spin
      ?
      A lot of dead or failing optical drives will display or act to such behavior as in trying to read certain CDs but unable either the lens is worn out or requires certain timing due to mechanical(gear) misalign. Such examples are on CD or DVD players. You could try your own fixture to this problem as the way you see it possible. 

pauloXjorge

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
      The same is happening to me and hi think its probably the lens that died...tried every thing , firmware update , switching jumper config (cause  hi have another) nothing worked have to buy a new one.  IF someone have any better idea  ???????help please

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »
      The same is happening to me and hi think its probably the lens that died...tried every thing , firmware update , switching jumper config (cause  hi have another) nothing worked have to buy a new one.  IF someone have any better idea  ???????help please
      Please start your own thread. I know you are new here, but it is considered rude to "hijack" someone else's thread. Thank you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:53 AM »
      bit if the drive were dead , then shouldnt the light on the drive not shine and also the disk that is put in not spin.
      Consider it this way. If the interior lights, headlights,heater, and air circulation in a car works, you cannot conclude that the entire car is fully functional.

My Toshiba Satellite 440CDX's CD-ROM drive performs similarly.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »
      bit if the drive were dead , then shouldnt the light on the drive not shine and also the disk that is put in not spin.  What about say refreshing the CD driver/firmware or uninstalling the device from device manage and then scanning for hardware changes.  Could that possibly bring it to life

The motor may spin the disk & the light may shine but if a read or write laser (or both) has failed or the associated electronics or the drive control electronics, then its a dead drive. Not every dead piece of hardware can be revived with geek magic.