Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavilion dv9205us Notebook PC won't start after Microsoft Update  (Read 2613 times)

powerfulkw

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    A friend asked me to help with a computer issue. We upgraded Microsoft yesterday. It failed to start immediately after.

HP Pavilion dv9205us Notebook PC running Vista (not sure of the SP)
    Microprocessor   1.6 GHz AMD Turion ™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50
    Microprocessor Cache   2 X 256KB L2 Cache
    Memory   1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Video Graphics   NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA)
    Video Memory   up to 288MB (shared)
    Hard Drive   120GB 5400RPM (SATA)
    Multimedia Drive   LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
    Display   17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)

When I press power the control panel lights up and the fans activate. The computer stays on for about 25 or 26 seconds, powers down for 1.5 seconds and repeats.

I power cycled the laptop and tried to boot without an AC power source.
    I tried booting without the battery.
    I tried booting with 1 stick of RAM at a time.
    I disconnected all peripherals from the mobo and started the laptop.
    I tried to boot from a Windows DVD.
    I tried to play a movie.

In all of the methods I described there was no change from the original activity I described. There was no beeping, and no lights flashing or changing colors (as I have been able to make happen for other dead mobos). No indication of anything.

Did I mention we installed a microsoft upgrade yesterday? haha.
    Thanks

zzorz

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: HP Pavilion dv9205us Notebook PC won't start after Microsoft Update
      « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
      There should be some blinking LED's, one next to your caps lock and one towards the top right of the keyboard.  Count how many times they blink at a time then go here:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01732674&product=1132551