Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: using or moving music files causes my pc to lock up  (Read 4003 times)

gravitywell42

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    using or moving music files causes my pc to lock up
    « on: April 16, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
    nVidia GeForce 6100
    894 MB RAM

this screen lock problem has been happening for a few months and i finally had the money to order a case for my other hard drive to backup all files and format my drive to reinstall windows and hopefully fix this issue, but it happened about four times in the process of trying to backup my files and then has continued to happen after the fresh format! it just seems to me that every time i want to access my music files or do more than one thing at a time it just locks up and i have to manually power down and restart it.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: using or moving music files causes my pc to lock up
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »
    Without 'mo details, only some guesswork can be given.
    How old is the system? Is it home-built?
    Have you had problems before now?
    Do you have another RAM set you can use?
    Will it run on just 256MB of RAM?
    Do you have odd-ball USB devices? Like cheap ones the don't conform to specs. Unplug them
    Do you have wireless mouse or keyboard? Some can lock a PC.
    Is your power supply OK?
    Are you using two CD drives?
    Does you CPU get very hot? Do you overclock?
    Can it run with another video card or built-in  video?

gravitywell42

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »
      The system was purchased as a package four years ago and hasn't given me much trouble until lately, but now that I think of it they started happening around when I installed the second cd drive. Also, the CPU runs at about 135f and I just stripped the inside and dusted the *censored* out of it. I have a set of 1g ram chips coming Monday as well, so I was hoping that would help. I will try to disconnect the second cd drive for now.

gravitywell42

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
        I have updated my RAM to 2.9G and disconnected the second disc drive to no avail. it literally freezes while completely Idle. the only information i have found that could be the problem is the power supply, and i think mine is a little dusty. so, if anyone has another idea of what it could be or additional system tests i could run i would greatly appreciate it!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »
        1.Have you tried safemode?
        2.On what partition of the HD are your music files located or being accessed?
        3.You also could try re-applying thermal paste for your processor.
        Can it run with another video card or built-in  video?
           Try reinstalling sound or video drivers and swap test HD cable connection.
        5. How much used and free space is available?
        6. Check BIOS settings and try disabling caching/shadowing if available. If you use XP, disable also IDE HDD Block Mode. Save and Exit.

gravitywell42

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »
          first off, what can i do in safe mode? just run there all the time? let me give the full run down so maybe we can get to the bottom of this. the problem first occurred about six months ago, but it was only when i would use my Zune player with my computer transferring files or just the zune software listening to music and it would only happen occasionally. after a while it started happening if i was doing almost anything with my music files, including burning cds. once it got to the point where i needed help here it was happening about five to ten minutes after i turned on the pc. i started to try an repair the problem by cleaning the dust from the comp and checking all the connections, then i transferred all of my important files to an external hard drive and did a complete format and reinstall of windows xp on the system. once that was complete i then added 2 gigs of ram and unplugged the second cdrom drive. today i replaced the thermal paste on the cpu and graphics card, and completely disassembled the innards of the pc and dusted the crap out of it all, making sure to look at all connections and check for any discoloration or swollen capacitors, and also for any obvious signs there was a problem with all components, which there weren't. now, i turn it on, try to run a few programs and get her going, play three songs through my zune software and we're back to square one with a lego screen. and when i turned it back on to check the temps in the bios menu the *censored* thing froze again!! the temp on the pcu was only 47c too! so maybe someone could give me a better solution bc i really despise computer repair establishments.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »
          Since it happens only upon using the Zune player(which I honestly never used) which makes your PC to freeze, could there be a relationship between the transferring of files to other media storage or vice-versa or settings that need to change or sync. Have you look for default settings or changes needed online for the zune software?