Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloudy laptop screen  (Read 10197 times)

tyd774

Cloudy laptop screen
« on: April 17, 2011, 04:47:22 PM »
I have a HP pavilion entertainment PC DV4. The operating system is Windows 7. My daughter was using my computer while I was at work and when I came home she told me that my computer got really colorful. Well when I checked it out my screen was cloudy. I can see the information on the screen but it is as if I am looking through a fog. I have hooked it up to a different monitor and the screen is clear through that monitor. The screen also clears up for a moment after the screensaver runs for a couple of minutes, then it gradually returns to the foggy appearance. I use this computer for school and currently am unable to afford a new one. I can use it the way it is but I get headaches from trying to see the screen. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.     

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cloudy laptop screen
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
The sure thing for the moment is to use the external monitor until you can fix he cause.  You need to know if your daughter did anything unusual.

There is a very slight possibility that this is a virus.
Here is something you can try. Have a friend get you a copy of a Live Linux CD.  My current favorite is Linux. Mint.
Apr 6, 2011 ... Linux Mint is an elegant, easy to use, up to date and comfortable GNU/Linux desktop distribution.
www.linuxmint.com/
It will cost nothing to try. It can run from the CD in the demo mode. If the screen looks alright in Linux, we can think it is a system problem caused by a bad program. But it is still cloudy, there really is a problem with the screen.

Replacing the screen can be costly. Not cost effective considering the risk of failure. You can sell your PC for parts and use the money to help pay for a new one with a warranty.

BTW. Presently some stores offer an extended warranty that covers accidental loss. Worth investigating if you choose to buy a new PC. Will your daughter chip in?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
So she didn't tell you what was spilled on it ? ?

:P
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:28:07 AM »
Although I'm not sure about newer laptops, many laptop screens have brightness controls. It sounds like maybe the brightness slider may have accidentally been bumped.

Another thing that might be worth trying would be the Fn+F6 combination, which usually is set to reduce the brightness.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.