Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DELL DEMENSION 3000  (Read 3604 times)

AZROOKIE

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    DELL DEMENSION 3000
    « on: April 18, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
    HELLO:

I HAVE AN OLDER DELL DEMENSION 3000 PC. I SAW AN HP 2310E MONITOR ON SALE AND ASKED HP IF IT WOULD CONNECT TO THE OLDER PC. THEY SAID IT WOULD. WELL, IT DID NOT. ON CALL, THEY TOLD ME TO PURCHASE A VGA CABLE TO GO FROM DELL TO NEW MONITOR. THE NEW MONITOR HAS 3 PORTS, HDMI, DVI & DISPLAY PORT. I AM USING DISPLAY PORT AS THAT IS WHAT FITS. NEW MONITOR AUTOMATICALLY SCANS THE 3 PORTS FOR SIGNAL. STILL SAYS SEARCHING AND NO SIGNAL. ONLY OTHER THING THAT COMES UP IS CHECK VIDEO CABLE. WHAT CAN I TRY? I HAVE READ THAT I MAY NEED A VIDEO CARD WITH DVI AND ALSO READ THAT I DO NOT? THANK YOU.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: DELL DEMENSION 3000
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
    Your capslock key is broken...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:15:38 AM »
    SO YOU HAVE A NEW VGA CABLE (BLUE INVERTED SERIAL CONNECTOR) PLUGGED INTO THE VGA PORT OF BOTH THE COMPUTER AND THE MONITOR.
    DOES YOUR COMPUTER HAVE MORE THAN ONE VGA PORT?
    DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER MONITOR YOU CAN TEST THAT COMPUTER WITH?

(I HAVE A 2310i & VGA WORKS FINE)

AZROOKIE

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:43:09 AM »
      Thanks...no cable connects to blue VGA on computer and dvi display port on monitor. That is what HP told me to get since
      there cable would not work. The new monitor has 3 ports, no VGA. I tried new monitor with my HP Pavilion dv3 laptop and
      it did not work their either.

Accessless

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
      HP's specification states only 2 ports HDMI & DVI-D. What are you using to connect either the computer or laptop to the monitor?

Sorry for the caps joke, couldn't resist :P

AZROOKIE

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »
        Thanks. The 2310E has 3 ports. HP had me obtain a cable with VGA on one end and DVI on the other end. It sounds confusing, however the DVI cable fits the largest slot on monitor called display port when it searches for a connection. I still have the DVI and the HDMI available according to the search on the monitor and 2 available slots on the monitor. The cable appears to sink fine. The other 2 ports appear similar to about the size of a USB connection so they are definitely not an option.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:53:09 PM »
        HP 2310e Monitor; Input terminals
        1 HDMI connector
        1 DisplayPort connector
        1 Dual-link DVI-D connector

DisplayPort is the latest video interface & is designed to replace DVI & VGA.  Only the latest video cards will have this output.

Dell Dimension 3000 is shown below.  The only video card you could add would be an old PCI card which will only have VGA.

You bought a monitor which is incompatible with your computer.  Since your adapter cable is not working, it would seem your best option is to get a VGA monitor.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
        PCI video cards go much better than VGA. Even my old ATI Rage II went to 1600x1200.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
        Oh I see! You mean a 15 pin D-sub VGA connector! Sorry.

Accessless

Adviser
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
        Thanks. The 2310E has 3 ports. HP had me obtain a cable with VGA on one end and DVI on the other end. It sounds confusing, however the DVI cable fits the largest slot on monitor called display port when it searches for a connection. I still have the DVI and the HDMI available according to the search on the monitor and 2 available slots on the monitor. The cable appears to sink fine. The other 2 ports appear similar to about the size of a USB connection so they are definitely not an option.

I was going to suggest that very sort of cable but obviously the monitor will only accept input from a full DVI-D connection.

You're mistake here was that you bought a Dell computer j/k.