Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Asus P5AD2-E Premium, Upgrading????  (Read 8112 times)

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Asus P5AD2-E Premium, Upgrading????
    « on: April 19, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
    Hi Everyone,

I have an Asus P5AD2-E Premium, I would like opinions on upgrading, I now have an ATI Radeon X700 PRO, which is faulty, Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz 800FSB Socket 775 1MB cache CPU, and a total of 4 GB Ram (PC2 4200 DDRs  533MHz, please advise me if I should spend money on this M/B or start from scratch, in benchmark tests this combo ranks around 75%. Depending on cost I would like to bring that up to 90%.  My main issue in this rebuild it quietness.  I will spend more to get a quiet stable computer.  It seems to me that the power supply and CPU fan make the most noise, I have a few items in mind, the Seasonic X460 fanless power supply and the  Silvertone NT07 CPU fan, I have seen case fans with very large diameters, would they help cool and reduce noise?

I will monitor this site before buying anything, if any of you has a favorite supplier please let me know, I live in Canada so please keep shipping costs, brokerage fees, taxes in mind.

Thank you, God bless

Brandy

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Asus P5AD2-E Premium, Upgrading????
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »
    That's a nice motherboard, I would probably continue to use it.  Ignore the benchmarks, if the computer does what you need it to do, that's all that matters.

Graphics cards are not that expensive, you can get a decent one for $50-$100.  Get one with HDMI/VGA/DVI outputs since all new flat panel TV's have HDMI inputs.  Your old card has HDMI/VGA/S-video.

As for fan noise, the Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz needs a lot of cooling (TDP=84W).
    PSU's are usually very quiet, the one you suggest is $150.
    The cpu cooler you suggest is not compatible with the Pentium 4.  CPU fans are generally the noise makers.  I can hear my PWM fan speed up & down.  You would need a Socket 775 compatible fan.
    I like this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&cm_re=cpu_fan-_-35-186-134-_-Product
    Case fans will only add to the noise, unless you read the specs very carefully. I recently got a 92mm case fan that is nearly silent, but is does spin at only 1600rpm.
    « Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:48:42 PM by Computer_Commando »

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
      I ordered the CPU cooler tonight, 51.68 CAD, it was selling for 29.98 USD, when I called Newegg.ca they told me I had to order at Newegg.com.  Too bad we can't get the same price now that our dollar is so even.  Can't say I didn't know.

Thanks for all the advice.

Brandy

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:03:24 AM »
      I was under the impression newegg was open in Canada...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
      I ordered the CPU cooler tonight, ...
      I hope you checked to see if it would fit your case?

96 x 104 x 122 mm (L x W x H)

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
        Here are the Dimension 19.69 x 7.95 x 17.13 (D x W x H) inches and there appears to be about 7" from the M/B , and don't use a metal tape to measure, I just did and the computer was running, it simply rebooted, thank God.

The case is a Cooler Master Cavalier CAV - T03, quite a nice,easy and large case to work with although the snap in plastic holders for the cards are not strong enough and break easily.

As for Newegg, they must have a Canadian outlet because I called the US Newegg using their website phone number and was advised to use the Newegg.ca site to place my order, this probably has something to do with collecting taxes, eliminating brokerage fees, which sometimes cost more for us than the products, I have paid more than $50 dollars just in brokerage fees in the past, I am more careful now and try and make sure there are no brokerage fees involved.

Not exactly like mine, I have a glass side and sound meter dial in the front bottom.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
        Probably will have to remove the side air duct.

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »
          Here are the Dimension 19.69 x 7.95 x 17.13 (D x W x H) inches and there appears to be about 7" from the M/B , and don't use a metal tape to measure, I just did and the computer was running, it simply rebooted, thank God.

The case is a Cooler Master Cavalier CAV - T03, quite a nice,easy and large case to work with although the snap in plastic holders for the cards are not strong enough and break easily.

As for Newegg, they must have a Canadian outlet because I called the US Newegg using their website phone number and was advised to use the Newegg.ca site to place my order, this probably has something to do with collecting taxes, eliminating brokerage fees, which sometimes cost more for us than the products, I have paid more than $50 dollars just in brokerage fees in the past, I am more careful now and try and make sure there are no brokerage fees involved.

Do the two images of my pc appear in Computer Hope or are they only displayed to me from my PC?, I was reading about posting images in help forum and think I may have done this wrong[/]

Not exactly like mine, I have a glass side and sound meter dial in the front bottom.

Brandy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »
            Hi Everyone,

Happy Easter,

I just noticed conformation of my order to Newegg.ca, was being shipped from the USA, see below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Shipped from Edison, NJ)Shipping Time: 4/20/2011 8:31:14 AM

Dial 1-888-744-7123 or visit www.Purolator.com to track your package. If you have any questions or concerns while your order is in transit, please contact Purolator directly for inquiries.

Once You Know, You Newegg.

Your Newegg.ca Customer Service Team

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I can say is Canada must want to collect the taxes????