Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt...HELP!  (Read 2649 times)

bubbajan21

Help! Two days ago, I restored my laptop to one month earlier to try to recover my contacts in MS outlook that got deleted. I used the windows restore, and set it up to restore overnight. When I woke up, the error message shown in the video was on the screen. I have tried using the Windows XP disc to get into recovery mode to restore the missing file, but every time I try to get to the recovery console it goes to the blue screen. I think if I can get there, I can restore the file and get Windows to open again. I've attached a link to a video showing exactly what my computer does. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwMQrEMluWA
You can skip from 0:40 to 2:10, it is just the disc going through everything.

Thanks in advance!

kevpple

Rookie

ntoskrnl.exe is the brain of windows so it cant run without it and the setup cd most likely wont starting because the disc is damaged. that laptop looks new enough to have its own recovery system  on it assuming you didn't delete it. try holding down the ctrl and f11 while booting as soon as u see the dell logo.  ;D