Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: a simple 2 laptop XP network  (Read 2322 times)

davita45

a simple 2 laptop XP network
« on: August 20, 2005, 04:07:13 PM »
Hi Group,

When I visit my friend I take my laptop. We would like to have a simple way to be able to use both of our laptops on the internet through either of our connections.
My XP laptop help has taken me through the wizards connection advise to make mine the HOST. What do we need to buy to get us both connected SAFELY to the internet at the same time.
My friend is with AOL who seem to be less user friendly than BT who I am with. We are only dial up anytime.

Best wishes

Dave Edwards

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: a simple 2 laptop XP network
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 04:08:59 PM »
Well, I see that you can't be the host... What about his computer? Make that one the host? Which OS does he have? Is this a Dial-up network?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 04:13:32 PM »
In this case, your ISP will be irrelevant as you will have to connect through his laptop.

See if this guide contains the type of network you would like to create.

davita45

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 04:39:29 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies
I am at a loss as to why I have to use HIS computer as I have been connecting each day using my own ISP connection. We would like to use out individual ethernet ports through a device to the phone line.
Would "Network Adaptors" help, our local dealer offers 10/100Mbps PCMCIA Network Adaptor £15.
We both have XP laptops bought this year.

Best wishes

Dave Edwards

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 04:46:27 PM »
You can not connect an RJ-45 connection to an RJ-11. Which is Dial-up.

You will have to install a modem. I doubt there is such a thing as a Router or Hub for a modem connection so one computer will have to be set up as the Host and the other one as Client.

You should refer to the articles I gave you, they will answer your questions and give you an example.