Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I restore my O/S file from a Macrium Image?  (Read 2965 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    How do I restore my O/S file from a Macrium Image?
    « on: April 19, 2011, 01:33:59 AM »
    Hello and thank you for looking at my thread today.

I recently had a problem with my main computer not being able to to updates of any kind. ???
    During a clean out of potential viruses with SuperDave @ Computerhope here (Thanks SuperDave) it was discovered that the problem is actually my Windows Installer has been corrupted.

My Dell is running Windows XP Pro SP3 (legal) however I dont have the original install disk.  :'( :'(

To my good fortune (I hope) I also had reason to get Macrium Reflect from this thread and take an image of my computers C: drive, onto an external drive.  |V|

My discussions with various people tell me that I might be able to replace the corrupted files with the image from the external drive.

To do this I need to connect the external drive to the computer and follow the instructions from the Macrium website, but how do I find or select the actual file that is damaged?
    Can I just select that file, or do I need to just replace everything indiscriminately.

Your guidance would be greatly received.
    Thank you ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      Re: How do I restore my O/S file from a Macrium Image?
      « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:36:33 AM »
      Ok, here's a glitch in the whole restore senario.  :'(

I dont have Macrium installed on the hard drive and the Windows Installer (which is the corrupted file) wont let me install Macrium Reflect.

Any ideads as to how I might go about this then?
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        Re: How do I restore my O/S file from a Macrium Image?
        « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
        Thanks Computer_Commando.
        I went there. Read through it all and selected my link.

Unfortunately that did not fix it.

I also tried the firewall, (PC Tools) just in case there was a block on a site that I needed for the updates. I set everything in the list to allow. I open Firefox as usual to go to all my sites and still I dont get anything in the way of updates, even Adobe installs fail.

I've rebooted and tried again but still no joy. :'(

My Windows Security Center will not change. Automatic updates is OFF and will not change. Doesnt matter where I try to change it. (Control Panel Desktop in the actual window, so on).

As for the Macrium Image.. I cant get that to work either, as the program keeps giving me a message reading "Unable to find the specified path".
        Macrium, it seems, allocates a Drive letter for the recovery but I always get the same message, using their suggestion or even if I try to change it to another location.. eg" desktop "G" "F" or anything through to "Z".

My name it seems is most apt at this point. hahaha.
        ImnoGuru. ;)