Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Brand New System, Major Error  (Read 2878 times)

Uriel Spears

Brand New System, Major Error
« on: August 20, 2005, 10:54:37 PM »
For about a month, month and a half my system worked fine. Then out of nowhere it started acting like it had picked up a virus. Programs crashed, I had popups, etc

I was unable to open Task Manager
I formatted my hard drive. After formatting and installing XP Home again, -AS SOON AS- Windows started up, it said that it had recovered from a serious error and that it had 159 critical system errors and told me to get a registry fixer.

I obtained Registry Mechanic and ran it. It told me that I had a corrupted registry and that it would fix it,.

It did little good. Programs still either crashed or refused to install at all citing numerous errors each time.

I tried running multiple spyware/virus scanning and removing utilities but each time they eaither detect nothing or detect a minor problem and tell me that they fix it but I am still having the same exact problems of programs crashing or not installing at all.

Registry mechaning still constantly detects corrupted registry files.

I have formatted multiple times and each time Windows installs, it tells me that there is a currupted registry and I still have the software crash/refusal to install problems

I run registry mechanic every so often and it always tells me I have errors and that it fixes the errors but still no improvement in my system.

Just today I opened the system up, removed the ram and CR2032 battery on the mobo and replaced them.

Since doing this, I tried to format again but my Windows CD is not autodetected when the system reboots even though I have the boot order set to boot from CD first

I am at my wits end. This is a brand new computer not even three months old. I am ready to try anything. Please, please, PLEASE, any advice would be greatly aappreciated

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Brand New System, Major Error
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 11:26:01 PM »
Well when you reformat the computer you shouldn't ahve registry errors because you have erased everything and clean them all... Are you sure you reformated and not reinstall windows. Well In case you did try http://www.killdisk.com to reformat your computer again as soon as you are done http://www.bootdisk.com to get a startupdisk. I only know windows98se startup commands so lets go with that. Once you get into DOS you can type C:/ [enter] then from C:/> use these commands fdisk.exe if you get an error then thats fine just change it back to A:/ then use FORMAT C: /s that should convert your hard drive to FAT32 You can cahnge it to NTFS on windows setup. As soon as your done run scandisk.exe that should check for errors. That should be how its done and there shouldn't be any registry errors

It would be more helpful if you can name some registry errors you have

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 11:47:15 PM »

You said,

I obtained Registry Mechanic and ran it. It told me that I had a corrupted registry and that it would fix it,.

You might like to try ASO Win Registery Optimizer from
    http://www.winaso.com/ I found this to far better than Registery Mechanic, it must worth a try.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 11:48:06 PM by ojas25 »
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Uriel Spears

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 12:07:35 AM »
    Quick update here. Eventually my system did recognize the XP INstall CD and I formatted yet again though I am still having the exact same problem.

Well when you reformat the computer you shouldn't ahve registry errors because you have erased everything and clean them all... Are you sure you reformated and not reinstall windows.

I realize that I shouldnt have a corrupt registry after a format. Yes, I am sure that I formatted. Im pretty familiar with the proces and have done it in the past.

Well In case you did try http://www.killdisk.com to reformat your computer again as soon as you are done http://www.bootdisk.com to get a startupdisk. I only know windows98se startup commands so lets go with that. Once you get into DOS you can type C:/ [enter] then from C:/> use these commands fdisk.exe if you get an error then thats fine just change it back to A:/ then use FORMAT C: /s that should convert your hard drive to FAT32 You can cahnge it to NTFS on windows setup. As soon as your done run scandisk.exe that should check for errors. That should be how its done and there shouldn't be any registry errors.

I will try this, thank you.

Uriel Spears

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 12:17:59 AM »
    I formatted and installed some system files (motherboard drivers and what not) and then installed WinASO. It discovered 108 errors.
    22 Deep Registry Scan
    12 Invalid Files Path
    1 Registry Integrity
    67 Shared DLLs
    2 Software Locations
    I am unable to copy/paste errors for you all and even if I could, 108 would be a daunting task.

Ill try repairing what I can then trying killdisk to format yet again.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 03:21:31 AM »
      It discovered 108 errors

Are you sure these things are errors?
      Invalid file paths are quite normal, create & save a file, then delete that file & you will get an invalid file path, these are just 'cleanup' things.
      Many programs share dll files.
      Software locations are probably much the same as invalid file paths.
      I'm not sure about the 22 Deep Registry Scan or registry integrity entries.
      After a fresh install just run a registry cleaner and be happy.  :)
      « Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:22:10 AM by Fed »

Mac

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 01:35:40 PM »
      Have you deleted old partitions, re-made them and then FULL formatted before re-installing?

When you are doing this work is your computer PHYSICALLY disconnected from the internet? (Essential!)

Do you install your anti-virus program before re-connecting to the internet? (Essential!)

Do you update and scan with your Anti-Virus program BEFORE updating anything else? (Essential!)

Do you use Anti-Trojan software such as SpyBot SD, AdAware SE and SpywareBlaster?

Did you pay for Registry Mechanic?

Try Tune-Up Utilities and see if that makes a reassuring difference.

Registry 'errors' are, as has been said, not always errors but just registry entries which are no longer required.

BEWARE third party registry cleaners, as they are NOT as accurate as they should be.

Microsoft should produce its OWN registry cleaner.

Mikey

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 04:01:01 PM »
      Uriel, I had a problem like this and it was a ram issue.   You said you took out bios battery & ram & replaced them, did you take them out & reinstall them or replace with new (or otherwise known to be working components)?

I guess the key issue would be if you noticed errors while installing windows, I did have errors while installing & then also running windows, the ram didn't match the board, got better ram.   I'm thinking this might be the issue because you said '-AS SOON AS-' windows started.

The other thing (like Mac said) would be to unplug your internet cable as you're installing.   Sometimes once they've got your IP, you'll get hacked even before you get to the desktop.   The network IS running before you get to desktop.
      « Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 04:02:24 PM by Mikey »

Uriel Spears

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 11:05:56 PM »
      Uriel, I had a problem like this and it was a ram issue.   You said you took out bios battery & ram & replaced them, did you take them out & reinstall them or replace with new (or otherwise known to be working components)?

I just reinstalled them. I did not place in a new bettery or sticks of ram.

I guess the key issue would be if you noticed errors while installing windows, I did have errors while installing & then also running windows,

Sometimes there are errors while installing Windows.

the ram didn't match the board, got better ram.   I'm thinking this might be the issue because you said '-AS SOON AS-' windows started.

The ram and motherboard do match. Like I said they did at one point work perfectly. Also, Newegg had the two paired up together on their website.

The other thing (like Mac said) would be to unplug your internet cable as you're installing.   Sometimes once they've got your IP, you'll get hacked even before you get to the desktop.   The network IS running before you get to desktop.

I am unable to connect to the internet at all until I install drivers for the motherboard. I will however try unplugging the ethernet cable while formatting.

Mac

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 01:52:33 AM »
      Leave it unplugged whilst installing and disconnect all of your peripherals. You can install these later as you would normally do with a new computer.

Make sure that the XP Home CD you are using has SP2 and is clean. I have to gently wash and dry them sometimes to get an error free install.

Run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive and also run an overnight test on the RAM with MemTest86.

I would STOP using Registry Mechanic as it appears to be messing up your registry. I don't use it and I don't get the problems you have.

Uriel Spears

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 12:02:23 PM »
      Id like to thank everybody for the helpful advice. Some things Ive yet to try but will get to them.

Sadly, Im about to start another semester of online college classes so Im unable to continually be mesing around with and formatting my system all the time. Right now Im able to connect to my online classes and those come first. Hopefully Ill be able to get this system working properly when theres a lull in my schedule.

Thanks again for the suggestions and advice. Ill probably be back in a couple of months.

Mac

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 12:59:29 PM »
      Good luck!