Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issue with Windows Vista freezing  (Read 3630 times)

shahekee

Issue with Windows Vista freezing
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:38:12 AM »
Hi all,

I did some browsing and this seems like a great place to get help. I have an HP Laptop that I am running 64 Bit Professional Vista and recently started using an Ipad. I recently downloaded the 4.3.2 update to my PC to transfer to the Ipad and since that time my computer will work for about 1-5 minutes then freezes up. This is the only new piece of hw or sw that is new to the computer. I have tried booting into safe mode and this problem exists there as well.

I have two priorities: 1. Save all the data on the hard drive. There are pictures and videos of my two year old that I must not lose or my wife will kill me.

2. Important, but much less so, get the computer back to working order.

I have an external hard drive that I can dump everything to, but I can't get the computer to work long enough to transfer the files. Any and all help would be welcome. I also have a working hub and cables that I could network the computers.

Thanks,

Shahekee

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Issue with Windows Vista freezing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum  help everyone with all computer questions.

Under pu circumstances, you should find a friend that has a working computer and backup al your computer using his computer as the 'master' and the drive from minicomputer as the 'slave.'

An alternative would be to obtain a backup program that boots fro a CD and can backup material from lyou internal drive to a external.

One of many commercial products is Acronis Backup & Recovery
Acronis server backup & system recovery software. Download free trial. www.Acronis.com

Of course, a working PC is needed to create the recovery CD. You say you already have an external drive. I think the  Acronis product does have the ability to copy an image to an external drive.

The above ideas will work if the PC hardware is alright. The assumption is that the operating system has been damaged and for some reason you do not have the proper recovery CD that every computer user ought to have at hand.

FYI avoid a USB hub for external drive. USB hubs often are a source to trouble.