Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: battery  (Read 6463 times)

ikarubwok

battery
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:38:44 AM »
i have a packard bell laptop which has started displaying a message "consider replacing your battery".
 In uganda i cant get the battery for the machine. please help me get the battery easynote pc 22qd04918410594c4900
SNID 84102286049
input rating 19V......4.74A|19.5V..................4.64A
p|N:3UR18650-2-T0123
EUP-P1-4-24
output:11.1V........4800mAh|53.23Wh
BX 178X095BSA

truenorth

Guru

Re: battery
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »
    If the battery is failing you will need to replace it. If there is no available source in your country you have a variety of choices.
    1. you can research on line sources that offer it and order one. Please check with your local customs authorities to determine what additional costs and/or issues you may incur BEFORE you order it. Take the time to look at more than one source as prices can vary widely.
    2.If you have occasion to travel abroad buy a replacement there and carry it back with you.
    3.If you know a family member or reliable friend in a country where the battery can be purchased either on line or in a store have them buy it for you and send it to you as a gift.
    truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
    Here are some other ideas.
    Consider selling your laptop and getting another. The maintenance on a Packard-Bell computer is very high, even in places where parts are drearily available. A Toshiba might be a better choice. Toshiba is a global company.

You may wish to contact some of the embassies or consulates in your country. If you can make friends with them, then may have some piratical suggestions. Some of them can import small items and materials without a lot of hassle. Maybe start with the French. Then try the Swiss. Or even the British.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:40:19 PM »
    This is in the wrong section of the forum.

Salmon Trout

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »
    You may wish to contact some of the embassies or consulates in your country. If you can make friends with them, then may have some piratical suggestions. Some of them can import small items and materials without a lot of hassle. Maybe start with the French. Then try the Swiss. Or even the British.

At best, I can only imagine them laughing at him, scratching their heads, and wondering why he called them. I've heard of embassies going out of their way to help their citizens in need, but not doing anything unless it was a dire situation.  ::)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
    I think geek-9pm maybe assumed the poster was a Westerner resident in Uganda, whereas I suspect this is not so.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
    Following that advice...i'd think he'd still get laughed at...no matter what country.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »
    Following that advice...i'd think he'd still get laughed at...no matter what country.
    Respectfully disagree.
    It is mostly the Americans and British
    - who are such snobs.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
    Then visit an Embassy wherever you are and ask a Delegate if he can import something thats on a ban list of imports....
    Report back with your results instead of snide remarks about certain Nationalities.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
    Then visit an Embassy wherever you are and ask a Delegate if he can import something thats on a ban list of imports....
    Report back with your results instead of snide remarks about certain Nationalities.
    I already did that and posted my report. 
    I never asked for banned material.
    But here are some addition details based on personal experience.
    The French are nice.
    The British are sometimes.
    The Americans are too busy.

It is not a snide remark, rather a candid remark.
               snide/snīd/Adjective
                1. Derogatory or mocking in an indirect way: "snide remarks".
                2. (of a person) Devious and underhanded. 
                Candid
                2 : free from bias, prejudice, or malice
                3  : marked by honest sincere expression
    An Embassy ha authority to import materials that may be useful or incidental to the work of spreading goodwill and encouraging commercial development in other countries. The Embassy determines if a favor to an in individual is beneficial and helpful in establishing friendly ties with the people of a nation.

More questions?
    Does anybody have a good idea about how he can get a new battery?
    Current airline regulations make if very difficult for someone to bring a battery unless it is in a working laptop. Having nit imported via regular methods is more sure, but more expensive.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »
    Thanx for the definitions.....it was a snide remark.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
    The French are nice.
    The British are sometimes.
    The Americans are too busy.

This agrees with my experience too. I know it is fashionable in some (ignorant, stupid) quarters to run down the French, but the ones I have met (and I have met a lot) have been pretty nice. I don't know if they realise it, but people who make jokes about dropped rifles, etc, sound (outside the US, certainly, and hopefully within to some extent) like shamefully, ludicrously pig-ignorant dickweeds. Who would shut up if they ever heard about Kasserine. I hope.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »
    This is getting way off topic from how this guy can get a battery. How nice or snobby or whatever some nationality may be is irrelevant and not a discussion we need to be having here.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 08:30:41 PM »

Is this the battery? It is a common type used one Dell and other laptops. You should be able to get an equivalant from a distributor.

Living in a developing ncountry, other resources may be needed. A technician may be able to replace the indicidual cells i n the unit. Her e In North America it would be foooish, but in other places it is the most pratical solution.

Regulations in your country may prohibit importation by air mail, but this type of materiel, replacement lithium cells,  can be obtained by ground transport. Check with local technicians. Some surely have experience in replacing or rebuilding lithium battery packs. Do not underestimate the skills of technicians in developing countries. They learn how to innovate when a quick fix is not available. Also, it is not always necessary to nave the exact voltage and current ratings for a substitute battery pack. The laptop has internal regulators that allow variations in battery level.

Some laptops do not work well when the battery pack is removed, so getting a replacement pack is desirable. Also, in some areas mains power is note reliable. Having a good battery pack is a good investment.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:52 PM »
    Do not underestimate the skills of technicians in developing countries.

I couldn't agree more. I know a guy here (Thailand) that can fix anything with a soldering iron and a few bits of wire.  ;D