Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: One more question on Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E6700 3.20GHz  (Read 12983 times)

ppiyongs

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Thanks to you good people, I made a decision that Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E6700 3.20GHz is better than Intel Core 2 duo E6700 2.66GHz.

Now I have one more question.

My Motherboard is HP 0A54h, the chipset is Intel Q965. In my understanding its socket is socket 775.

When I checked the following website,

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/Q965_Express.html

I couldn't find Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E6700 3.20GHz in the list. The highest for it was model E2220 2.4 GHz (at the very bottom of the page).

Does that mean it will not fit to my motherboard?

Just for your information, my computer spec is in the following website.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3232029&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c00798487

I am a self-taught computer novice and have learned a lot from people like you by asking questions. Thank you very much!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    You must select a CPU that fits the socket.
    The 775 is called  LGA 775
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775
    The socket has been superseded by the LGA 1156 (Socket H) and LGA 1366 (Socket B) sockets.
    That means newer CPUs do not fit the 775 and you must limit your selection to the older CPUs made for the 775 socket.

ppiyongs

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Dear Geek-9pm,

Thank you for the lesson. I read the Wikipedia article and let me ask one more time to be sure because many words were new to me.

What you said by "newer CPUs" that do not fit the 775, do you mean "Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E6700 3.20GHz" will not fit my motherboard, although its socket size is 775 because it's older model?

I would really appreciate your answer again,

Best luck,

~ppiyongs

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      Sorry for any confusion.
      I meant that any upgrade options for you motherboard have  already been established. Do not expect Intel to invent a new CPU to fit your motherboard.
      Intel will con continue to market products for our motherboards, but do not expect future new developments.
      Here is the spec for the CPU you mention
      http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42809
      It is a LGA775 type and will work in your motherboard.

BTW: Socket design continues to preset a hard job for the design people. Future designs may offer some ideas that are very different from what we have now. Intel is doing research on optical systems or motherboards. But not this year.
      http://news.softpedia.com/news/IBM-Researches-Says-Optical-Interconnects-Won-t-Be-Available-for-At-Least-10-Years-182453.shtml

DaveLembke

Sage
      Just wanted to mention some common issues you can run into with installing newer CPU's in older motherboards is that the motherboards BIOS might not detect the newer CPU properly. These days you can usually upgrade without problems, but sometimes you need to flash your bios to support faster - more modern CPU's.

I have run into problems in the past with HP, eMachines, and Dell's that were intended to never be upgraded and intended to remain with the original CPU where sometimes the manufacturer doesnt have a flash available and you are stuck with running only as fast as the original CPU's frequency. Fortunately on these I was able to upgrade from the Celeron 2.0 Ghz and Celeron 2.4 Ghz to Pentium 4 - 2.0 Ghz and Pentium 4 - 2.4 Ghz to have better performance, but I had some nice Pentium 4 - 2.8Ghz HT CPU's available for these 2 systems ( These act like dual cores instead of single cores ) that would not run in these boards because the bios did not support them and the manufacturer never made a flash available to support these newer CPUs.

If your motherboard doesnt support the CPU you can have one of 3 things happen. It will black screen without post = (booting), it will boot up an error out about the CPU being incorrect for the motherboard ( flash needed if available to operate), or such as when I upgraded a Celeron 500 Mhz to a Pentium III 733Mhz on an old Compaq computer it complains that it incorrectly read the CPU and sets it to run as a Pentium III 667Mhz which was the fastest that the motherboard was designed to run ( so the 733 Mhz CPU runs underclocked at 667Mhz ) and in order to have the computer function you need to agree to a F1 or F2 prompt every time the computer booted in order to get windows to boot up.) I ended up keeping this mismatched CPU in this system because even underclocked at 667Mhz the Pentium III was far faster than the Celeron 500 Mhz.

Have you checked to see if the motherboards BIOS will support 3.2Ghz speed? The chipset can support 3.2Ghz, but the BIOS detecting the correct CPU is important!

Salmon Trout

I have seen a fair number of posts where younger, pc-savvy youngsters have been bought a PC as a gift by parents and unfortunately the recipient does not have enough input into the selection process and they end up with some Dell/HP/Compaq device with very restricted upgrade options. Moral: get involved and push for an often equally priced more open solution.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      First of all, Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E6700 3.20GHz & Intel Core 2 duo E6700 2.66GHz are completely different families of processors.  The former are the 1st generation, the latter the 2nd generation.
      http://www.cpu-world.com/

Second, branded computers (Dell/HP/Compaq) are generally not processor upgradeable.

Your particular computer doesn't even specify the Dual-Core, but does specify the Core 2 Duo.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      Computer_Commando and others,
      Thanks for the heads up. I don't want to give the OP bad information.
      Here is a item of interest:
      All processors in the table below will physically fit into the socket LGA775, but not all of them are supported by all motherboards. If you're upgrading an old computer system please make sure that the CPU is compatible with your motherboard. Please see "Upgrading socket 775 motherboards" section below for information on how to determine what microprocessors can be supported by your motherboard.

CPU Family Frequency The fastest CPU(s)
      Celeron 400 series 1.6 GHz - 2.2 GHz Celeron 450
      Celeron D 2.4 GHz - 3.6 GHz Celeron D 365
      Celeron Dual-Core 1.6 GHz - 2.6 GHz Celeron Dual-Core E3400
      Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz - 3.33 GHz Core 2 Duo E8600
      Core 2 Extreme 2.66 - 3.2 GHz Core 2 Extreme QX9770
      Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz - 3 GHz Core 2 Quad Q9650
      Pentium 4 2.66 GHz - 3.8 GHz Pentium 4 672
      Pentium 4 670
      Pentium 5 571
      Pentium 5 570J
      Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz - 3.73 GHz JM80547PH1092MM (BX80547PH3730F)
      Pentium D 2.66 GHz - 3.6 GHz Pentium D 960
      Pentium Dual-Core desktop 1.6 GHz - 3.06 GHz Pentium Dual-Core E6600
      Pentium Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz - 3.73 GHz Pentium Extreme Edition 965
      Xeon 3000 series 1.86 GHz - 3.16 GHz Xeon 3085
      Xeon E3120
      Xeon X3230
      Xeon X3380

There are no CPUs from other manufacturers compatible with socket LGA775.
      http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20775%20(LGA775).html
      The site has more information. Notice the warning.
      The OP may want to think about selling what he has and investing in a new motherboard with a better future.