Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Onboard LAN Adapter not seen by Device Manager after upgrading BIOS  (Read 4051 times)

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dear Experts

I have MotherBoard ASUS  P5GC-MX/1333 in the link below :

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P5GC-MX/1333&p=1&s=22&hashedid=PYvbfOokwxUzJky3

Every thing was working fine (XP Prof SP3) till my mate upgraded the BOIS after that Onboard LAN Adapter got missing from the Device Manager and the LAN icon got missing from my "Network Place".

I did a fresh installation of windows still the same problem is going on, then I realized the problem with BIOS.

I have checked BIOS and I enabled every thing that I would have thought is related to onboard LAN but still no joy.

What should I do to rectify the problem

Thanks
    « Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:31:30 PM by zillah »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Did you save a copy of the old BIOS? That is the recommended procedure when doing a BIOS upgrade.
    Perhaps you need to go to the website and download another version of the BIOS. You  may have used the wrong one.
    Did you have a special reason for doing a BIOS upgrade?  The motherboard you have is not very old and it would seem unlikely that a revision would be needed.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    What do you see under device manager, network adapter? Any flags or marks, other devices? After installing the OS did you install your chipset driver that came with the mobo or thru online? Did you reinstall the same XP service pack 3 on your computer?

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Did you save a copy of the old BIOS?
      Unfortunately no.

That is the recommended procedure when doing a BIOS upgrade.
      Yes I am aware of that but I had not upgraded the BIOS my friend had done it

Perhaps you need to go to the website and download another version of the BIOS.

I was planning to do that but BIOS in .ROM format not .exe format.

You  may have used the wrong one.
      No, it is the right one for sure.

Did you have a special reason for doing a BIOS upgrade?  The motherboard you have is not very old and it would seem unlikely that a revision would be needed
      Yes it shouldn't have happened from the first place

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

What do you see under device manager, network adapter?

Nothing under device manager.

Any flags or marks, other devices?
        if there is nothing under device manager obviously I won't be to see flags or marks

After installing the OS did you install your chipset driver that came with the mobo or thru online?
        Yes

Did you reinstall the same XP service pack 3 on your computer?
        Yes

Thanks

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        This is a rare thing to occur after BIOS upgrade... Try putting your SATA Hdrive to another SATA port also with your optical drive if its SATA. Set BIOS settings to default.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        Dear Experts

I have MotherBoard ASUS  P5GC-MX/1333 in the link below :

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P5GC-MX/1333&p=1&s=22&hashedid=PYvbfOokwxUzJky3

Every thing was working fine (XP Prof SP3) till my mate upgraded the BOIS after that Onboard LAN Adapter got missing from the Device Manager and the LAN icon got missing from my "Network Place".

I did a fresh installation of windows still the same problem is going on, then I realized the problem with BIOS.

I have checked BIOS and I enabled every thing that I would have thought is related to onboard LAN but still no joy.

What should I do to rectify the problem

Thanks

On that page that you've linked us to, there are eight different BIOS versions, including the one that the board originally came with. Try another one.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/