Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Caps lock key opens my Microsoft Office Outlook.  (Read 17005 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Caps lock key opens my Microsoft Office Outlook.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
Perhaps the OP will let us know if the problem is also present when using a wired keyboard.

Sometimes you sound just like Billrich, Geek. Did you know that? I think the OP is long gone.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »
Sometimes you sound just like Billrich, Geek. Did you know that? I think the OP is long gone.
No, I had no idea that I was anything like Billrich.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 03:12:48 AM »
Geek, you posted reviews for what products? I see mice, I see keyboards, I see Microsoft. So I'm seeing reviews taken out of context from many different products. Sure, every product is going to get some bad reviews from people, so take many reviews from different products is hardly compelling evidence. I'm sure any of us could do the same for wired products.

I've had two Microsoft wireless mice. The first one lasted me 5 years with daily use, the outside of the mouse wore out before the innards did. I replaced it with another Microsoft mouse which I've had for two years. No issues with either. Batteries lasted for months and months. Before those, I had a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set. Only issue I had was that the mouse was a battery sucker. Had to change every month. I have two wireless keyboard I use regularly at the moment. No problems with either.

Mrs. J, if you do come back, could you try with a wired PS/2 or USB keyboard and see if you still get the same issue? Generally, I've found wireless products to be ok, but it's possible that your keyboard is now faulty and sending out the wrong signal.

Mrs. J

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
    Do you have a standard keyboard and mouse? Does that work?
    You do not need a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Here is just one of hundreds of similar posts found on the web:
    The wireless keyboard scam is a conspiracy to stash wireless junk in our closets and antics.  Someday they will become active and the headlines will read:

Random attacks by defunct wireless devices.

There are a lot of things I don't need, but my preference is for a wireless keyboard and mouse! 

Mrs. J

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »
      I have heard of problems like this after a keyboard, wired or wireless, has been damaged by spillage of liquid into it. Also when one of the fancy "extra" keys is stuck down. Are you a mother, Mrs J? I wonder if this keyboard has been used/abused by very young children? And as it is a wireless keyboard another thing I would check is if the batteries need replacing (they don't last forever).

Salmon Trout, Yes, I am a mother, a grandmother and a great-grandmother!  Been around computers for more years than I'd like to mention.  A full glass of water was spilled on the keyboard (by me!), and after several days of letting it dry out upside down on a towel, it still wouldn't function.  So, when all else fails, I said to myself, "Self, try the hair dryer."  I did that and everything works except for the problem I'm posting about.  It's really just aggravating and as you can see I can still use this keyboard.  But thank you for your reply. 

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
      Well, unfortunately, liquid spills can be the demise of keyboards.  I've ruined one or two keyboards that way; they were wired keyboards but I don't believe that matters when it comes to liquid spills.  You'll probably have to replace it unless you can accept using it the way it is.

Aside from Outlook opening when the CapsLock key is pressed, does the CapsLock do what's it's supposed to do?   

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
      Salmon Trout, Yes, I am a mother, a grandmother and a great-grandmother!  Been around computers for more years than I'd like to mention.  A full glass of water was spilled on the keyboard (by me!), and after several days of letting it dry out upside down on a towel, it still wouldn't function.  So, when all else fails, I said to myself, "Self, try the hair dryer."  I did that and everything works except for the problem I'm posting about.  It's really just aggravating and as you can see I can still use this keyboard.  But thank you for your reply. 
      Ah, that explains a lot.  ;D

The keyboard is sending out the wrong signal to the receiver, likely because the water crossed paths or the key contacts, creating the wrong signal. I don't know how to explain it more simply than that.

You can do one of three things at this point:
      1. Wait it out and see if further drying time helps.
      2. Open the keyboard and pull it apart and make sure it's dry. (Not recommended)
      3. Buy a new keyboard.

Sorry about the mess in this thread. Think the maid is on holiday.  ;D

Mrs. J

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
        Geek, you posted reviews for what products? I see mice, I see keyboards, I see Microsoft. So I'm seeing reviews taken out of context from many different products. Sure, every product is going to get some bad reviews from people, so take many reviews from different products is hardly compelling evidence. I'm sure any of us could do the same for wired products.

I've had two Microsoft wireless mice. The first one lasted me 5 years with daily use, the outside of the mouse wore out before the innards did. I replaced it with another Microsoft mouse which I've had for two years. No issues with either. Batteries lasted for months and months. Before those, I had a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set. Only issue I had was that the mouse was a battery sucker. Had to change every month. I have two wireless keyboard I use regularly at the moment. No problems with either.

Mrs. J, if you do come back, could you try with a wired PS/2 or USB keyboard and see if you still get the same issue? Generally, I've found wireless products to be ok, but it's possible that your keyboard is now faulty and sending out the wrong signal.

Thank you for your help.  I should have mentioned in my post that I DID try a wireless keyboard and mouse, and they didn't cause the same problem.  I am just not wanting to accept the fact that I might need a new keyboard and mouse!  As I posted to Soybean  today, it's just an aggravating problem. 

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
        I am just not wanting to accept the fact that I might need a new keyboard and mouse!
        Well, you could only replace the keyboard.  If you got a wireless keyboard and continue using your current wireless mouse, you'd have two receiver units.  But, if you don't mind a bit more clutter, that's not an issue. 

Also, if you replace just the keyboard, you might consider getting a wired keyboard unless you have a strong preference for wireless.  For me, a wireless mouse is quite nice because of the motion involved in using a mouse.  But, that usually does not apply to a keyboard; it usually sits in one place. 

Mrs. J

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »
          Ah, that explains a lot.  ;D

The keyboard is sending out the wrong signal to the receiver, likely because the water crossed paths or the key contacts, creating the wrong signal. I don't know how to explain it more simply than that.

You can do one of three things at this point:
          1. Wait it out and see if further drying time helps.
          2. Open the keyboard and pull it apart and make sure it's dry. (Not recommended)
          3. Buy a new keyboard.

Sorry about the mess in this thread. Think the maid is on holiday.  ;D

Thanks for your help.  My son (he's experienced at taking keyboards apart as his employees have spilled various liquids on their keyboards) took this one apart after it had been drying for 2 days.  It was still damp and I turned it over on a towel again for another 48 hrs.  Then, I used the hair dryer and it worked except for this one aggravating problem.  I can live with it, and the caps lock does what it's supposed to do except for when I just decide to start out typing in all caps. 
          There sure was a mess in this thread!  Seems like I opened up a can of worms!  I've been using this Logitech keyboard and mouse for 8 years!  This is my 5th computer and the keyboard has been through 3 computers now.  So, I guess it's time to buy a new one! 

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »
          There sure was a mess in this thread!  Seems like I opened up a can of worms!
          Sorry about that.  One particular member posted some non-sense and that, I, and others, felt, needed to be rebutted.  I figured that whole ordeal scared you away and you would not be back.  So, I'm glad you came back and provided more info about the situation regarding your keyboard.

Mrs. J

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
            Sorry about that.  One particular member posted some non-sense and that, I, and others, felt, needed to be rebutted.  I figured that whole ordeal scared you away and you would not be back.  So, I'm glad you came back and provided more info about the situation regarding your keyboard.
            As old as I am, nothing much scares me! I did try most of the suggestions that were posted, but none of them solved the problem.  So, I'll live with this problem until I can talk myself into buying a new keyboard and mouse or just a keyboard.  Thanks again for your help.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »
            As old as I am, nothing much scares me! I did try most of the suggestions that were posted, but none of them solved the problem.  So, I'll live with this problem until I can talk myself into buying a new keyboard and mouse or just a keyboard.  Thanks again for your help.

Yeah, don't let any pro or con advice dropped here sway you. If whatever works for you, then by all means...

Sometimes the liquid permanently damages the keyboard, even after it's dried. I had to order a new keyboard for a Compaq laptop after someone spilled a small bit of just drinking water on it. Even after completely drying it, 4 keys were unresponsive (A,S,D,F). $80 for a replacement from Compaq, not including what they wanted to charge him for putting it on (another $40 for a 3 minute procedure).

Funny thing is, with my old Toshiba laptop, I can't even count the number of times my drunk alcoholic brother spilled Jack & Coke on that keyboard and even leaked down in the system itself. Thing still worked completely fine. The screen went out on it eventually, nothing relating to the drinks though. And last month, a coffee was spilled on one of my laptops. No issues with it either.

Sometimes you just get lucky...  ;)

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
            In case you decide soon to buy a keyboard, I'll suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126191.  It has a "Spill-resistant design", per the product details on newegg's website.  A similar model from Staples: http://www.staples.com/Logitech-K120-Keyboard/product_869101?cmArea=page_rr

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »
            This crossed my mind... Outlook is surely opening because some kind of keyboard helper (or hotkey) program is running which looks out for when you press a key with a little envelope or some hotkey combination maybe. Prevent this from running and you won't accidentally trigger Outlook.