Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Data in Virtual Memory?  (Read 2859 times)

funglam

Data in Virtual Memory?
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:55:14 AM »

I borrowed from my colleague a notebook computer for 14 days during official trip in India (now the notebook is in India).

I just come back and pop up something in my mind.

I used this computer to process a "VERY VERY CONFIDENTIAL" document in the first day of the trip (origin data stored in my external hard drive). In the following 13 days, I utilized this notebook computer to watch 9 different DVD and browse internet (6 hours per day).

I am not sure if his computer would auto-delete the data in virtual memory after reboot.

IF NOT,

1.Will my document still exist in his computer (virtual memory)?

2. Has my usage of computer (i.e. watching DVD and browsing internet) already overwritten my confidential document in virtual memory?

3. Is "ALL" the data in virtual memory "first-in-first-out"? i.e. the existing information in virtual memory MUST be utimately overwritten by new-coming data when the computer keeps on being used ( That is a blessing for me).

Thank you for your help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Data in Virtual Memory?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:50:09 AM »
Your document is gone in theory.

A simple reboot will accomplish this next time.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
1. Virtual memory = page file. Unless you delete it at shutdown, data held in it is ***not*** guaranteed to vanish at next boot.
2. Maybe, maybe not.
3. No.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
I'm thinking he does not know the difference between virtual memory and what's stored in RAM...there was where my answer was based.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
I'm thinking he does not know the difference between virtual memory and what's stored in RAM

A very good point.