Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS Error After Flashing ?  (Read 4333 times)

Lawgiver

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    BIOS Error After Flashing ?
    « on: May 04, 2011, 02:11:40 AM »
    Hello To All,

Well, I don't know what else to do.  Its 3am, I have been searching the web for several hours looking for a solution.  At this point, I am ready to use my laptop for a frisbee.  My problem started at about 7pm.  I was downloading updates for my Lenovo N500 laptop using their toolbox feature.  I needed an updated driver for my wifi card as well as the ethernet LAN card.  It also stated my bios required updating to version 1.10  I read the "read me" notes that said the new bios would fix several bugs and Lenovo had it listed as a high priority update.  I hesitated for a moment and wondered if I should really select the update.  Ahhh  If only I had hesitated a little longer.  The new driver updates downloaded and installed without a problem.  Then came the bios update.  I was watching the progress, it stated it was making a backup of the present bios (bios.bak)  and then began the flashing process.  Then the laptop restarted.  Now, I could have sworn the flashing process wasn't complete yet.  I basically stated  "OH!  S@#$!@&*!!"   And sure enough, my wonderful evening came to an end.   XP would not load.  It is a normal start up sequence.  The lenovo splash screen appears and the XP logo and start up appears.  But then,  for a split second the blue screen of death appears and disappears instantly replaced by the "safe mode" screen.  The one that states "windows did not start successfully".  You have several options here.  Start windows normally, or in safe mode, safe mode with networking etc.  It doesn't matter what you select here.  The laptop will only display the XP logo and start up for a second and then the safe mode window will pop up again.    I can still enter the Phoenix setup utility.  The BIOS version listed is 6GET18WW(V1.09)  EC version is 6GEC19WW(V1.08)  Version 1.10 is listed no where which leads me to believe the flashing did not complete.  The Lenovo support site has both versions available for download 1.09, 1.10.  But you have to install these with a working operating system.  I have read that you can re-flash the BIOS using a boot CD ISO image.  I cannot find an ISO file with the BIOS version I need.  According to Lenovo phone support they don't have one for my laptop.  They told me to take it to an authorized Lenovo repair center.  Or, for 95 dollars an hour the support rep "might" be able to help me over the phone as my laptop is out of warranty.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am at a loss, and at this point I am so frustrated I wouldn't recognize the solution if it was right in front of me.  I need a drink............

My specs.    Lenovo 3000 N500 laptop  4233-52U
                       Windows XP SP3  1gig RAM
                       DVDRW drive

Kind Regards,
    Rob   

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: BIOS Error After Flashing ?
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »
    When it comes to BIOS, if it works, don't fix it.

You mentioned that the laptop still starts up and attempts to load XP after you updated the BIOS. If the BIOS got currupted, the computer would probably not start at all.

Anyway, at this point, you should probably do a rapair install. If you have an extra hard drive, you can try a fresh copy of XP on that to see if the blue screen still apears after a fresh copy. If it does, then a hardware problem can be suspected.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Lawgiver

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: BIOS Error After Flashing ?
      « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
      Hi Linux711,

Thanks for the reply.  I did attempt a repair install.  I can enter windows setup using the XP CD, but it will not complete.  The blue screen error appears.  This also leaves out the re-formatting of the HD.  I do have another HD I could install to see if it will boot up.

Rob