Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell 926 All in One not communicating with computer  (Read 4266 times)

lrourk1

Dell 926 All in One not communicating with computer
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:26:23 AM »
I have been having some problems printing for about a month. Recently when I try to print, an error message that says "Communication not Available" will pop up. I go through the troubleshooting steps of  disconnect/connect cable from USB or switching to another USB slot, restarting the computer, and checking firewall and it would work. Today none of these solutions helped. I have a avast as my security system, but I have had them since August of last year and haven't had these problems til recently. Can anybody give me advice? I am not very computer savvy when it comes to different computer parts so if you think the problem is computer part related please dumb down the answer for me lol.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dell 926 All in One not communicating with computer
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum  help everyone with all computer questions.

You have a Dell 926 all in one.
Please provide more information on our next post.
Make and model of your computer.
Which operating system.
Have updates been installed.
Have you looked on the Dell site.
Are you using a USB hub. What other USB devices.

Have you ever used it  in the wireless mode?
Without details, first guess is the power supply for the Dell printer is failing. But check with Dell to see if this has been reported by others. If it is a known issue, you may have to replace the power supply unit. I am not sure.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Dell 926 All in One not communicating with computer
    « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »
    From my research on this printer (reviews are awful) it should be noted that by itself it is NOT wireless capable.
    "The 926 printer by itself, does NOT have wireless. You can attach it to a Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300. The 3300 uses your wireless router to transmit everything from each computer to the printer. No need to have a host computer turned on to print. If you have a desktop, on your network, you can install the drivers, choose network and then tell it the printer is connected to a wireless print server and you'll be able to print from the desktop, even though it's wired. I have the 3300 attached to my Dell 964 Printer and it works great. If you decide to purchase the 3300, when you get it, please post back, or even use this thread, and I'll be more than happy to help you set it up with instructions." This is from the dell site.
    To the O/P if you have the users manual (given that it has worked properly in the past) my suggestion would be to disconnect the printer from the computer/uninstall the current software/then with your manual in hand follow the guidance PRECISELY to reinstall the printer. If you do not have the manual it can be obtained (free) from the Dell site. Just before doing the uninstall/reinstall if you haven't already done so you might go to the Dell download site and install the latest drivers for the printer from there. Do the other functions of the "all-in-one work properly? truenorth