Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new hard drive - mp3 playback  (Read 2689 times)

becky maund

new hard drive - mp3 playback
« on: August 22, 2005, 03:18:59 AM »
OK, bare with me here, i'm 18, & do not know a great deal about pcs!

Saturday night i installed a new 80GB harddrive into my pc. ( Dell dimension 2400, Windows XP home ed, 512M ram, 40gb harddrive ) With the intention of re-formatting my C drive & re-installing Windows for a complete clear up. The new harddrive is set to slave, & the orignal 40gb to master.

As soon as the new harddrive was installed i noticed the MP3 playback was crackled & glitching, and the speed/quality of the playback varied by the second.

Yesterday i re-formatted my C drive & re-installed windows, and all the nessessary drives i had before. Yet the problem with my mp3 playback is still occuring.

I've tried switching the files from my new harddrive to my old one, which made no difference. The computer can play CD's fine, it's just struggling with mp3's.

As you can imagine, after a long 7 hours of re-formating, re-installing, & finding drivers, something like this can prove to be extremely irritating. especially for someone who doesn't know much about pc's! heh.

what could possibly be causing this problem?
any help is appreciated!
thanks
becky

Raptor

Re: new hard drive - mp3 playback
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 03:38:09 AM »
What if you copy the MP3 onto the new HDD?

becky maund

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:38:15 AM »
I've tried switching the files from my new harddrive to my old one, which made no difference.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 07:22:22 AM »
Do you notice other difficulties?

Poor audio i.e. scratchy sound

becky

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »
the sound jitters as if it's being played off a scratched cd.

cd's play perfectly fine. it's just mp3s.

i'll do what it says there & see if that makes any difference.