Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Cord Noises  (Read 2206 times)

88_MPH

Power Cord Noises
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
Hey everyone-

Got a bit of a thinker. Recently my power cord has been making noises on my Inspiron. Honestly, it sounds like an old 56k modem when the noise is at it's worst. The computer is about a year old (just out of warranty) so it's not a question of outdated equipment.

The noise is triggered by certain functions of the computer. If I'm a webpage and I hover over some links, with each link I hover over, it makes a noise. It's almost as if I'm hearing the computer process through the power cord.

This blows my mind. Anyone ever heard of this before?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Power Cord Noises
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »
It is hard to take this without LOL.....  :rofl:
Anyway...

Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum  help everyone with all computer questions

Just wait, somebody is going to ask you if you updated the driver for the power cord...

If it is the power cord, replace it. Right away.

But I think the noise is in you Power Supply or the Video card.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Power Cord Noises
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
Strange enough. Is this a laptop's power cord/adapter? If it is one, have you tried using only the battery supplying the laptop or using another outlet ? Make sure the cord fits or  not wobbly usually on extension cords. Also make sure it is only the laptop and not other electrical appliances are affected by checking power fluctuations throughout the house unit.