Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Making recovery disk  (Read 3186 times)

aspire5942w7

Making recovery disk
« on: May 06, 2011, 12:58:02 AM »
Hi Frnz!

A month before i bought a new lap aspire 4738z. It came with win7 home premium installed with GRUB loader. Now i want to downgrade to XP.. But two problems were there in downgrading option..

1.) No recovery disc or installation disc of my orgina OS..

If i downgrade without recovery disc i might lose my orginal win 7 home premium..

2.) SATA is in AHCI mode so i guess CD will not boot.. I guess the only option for changing to IDE mode is possible only with the OS installatiom disc..

Help me to make a recovery disc..

I think, you all understand my problem..

Any replies would be appreciated!
Many thanX in Advance!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Making recovery disk
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 01:42:18 AM »
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum  help everyone with all computer questions.

It is hard to fully understand your question.
You have a new computer with Windows 7.
You want to down grade to Windows XP.
That is not recommended. But many have don it.

Here is a preferred method of using Windows XP mode when you  need it to run some older programs that don't work well in a Windows 7 system.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7
Or, this information maybe of help.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

But if you really are going to remove Windows 7 and in stall Win ws XP, there are some e things you need to know.
1. Some new laptops do not have drivers for XP readily available.
2.  A Hard drive used by Vista or Windows 7 has to have the MBR be reset to be used by Windows XP.

The is more to say about this. Hopefully some others on this forum will explain the issue of doing a 'downgrade' to XP.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Making recovery disk
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »
It came with win7 home premium installed with GRUB loader.
This doesn't make sense.  GRUB loader is used with Linux OS installations.  Does your laptop have a Linux OS (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc.) installed?  If not, then there's no reason for GRUB to be present. 

1.) No recovery disc or installation disc of my orgina OS..
This also does not make sense.  Surely, Acer laptops have a recovery partition on the hard drive, which virtually all laptops now have. Typically, it will be on drive, i.e. partition, D.  And, the user should be able to create a recovery disc on DVD from the recovery partition on the hard drive. 

2.  A Hard drive used by Vista or Windows 7 has to have the MBR be reset to be used by Windows XP.
If he does a clean install of Win XP, the installation process is going to erase the hard drive and create the MBR for Win XP.  No need to "reset" it.